• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Probably best do what Unix suggested and see how many Nato members are nuclear states.
    I'm not talking about those that operate their own nuclear fleets, I'm talking about 'will host' if requested.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
      .....it would impact the RUK rating slightly, but would have a significant adverse impact on our rating. It won't happen, a new Scotland would need to borrow in order to take Sterling - the last thing a new government would do is damage it's own credit rating.

I'm surprised Swinney came out with it - from an economic perspective it's a mad thing to say.

Did you ever consider the rating agencies have people that have a bit of intelligence and might not agree with Project Fear? Talk about brainwashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Spain does indeed have a hidden agenda. And probably a veto as well. But... my opinion is that because Spain is in a weak economic position the EU will lean on them to facilitate speedy membership. But the risk remains.
        ....it's not just Spain, Belgium and Italy have both stated Article 49 is preferable. Throw in France, Spain, Italy saying no to the rebate for Scotland and it all starts to look a bit tricky.

Scotland will be in the EU, but it will not be a simple clause 48.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
          .....it would impact the RUK rating slightly, but would have a significant adverse impact on our rating. It won't happen, a new Scotland would need to borrow in order to take Sterling - the last thing a new government would do is damage it's own credit rating.

I'm surprised Swinney came out with it - from an economic perspective it's a mad thing to say.
          Some fun betting here:

Scottish Independence Independent Scotlands Credit Rating Betting Odds | Politics Betting | Oddschecker

A+ A or A- 2
          AA+ AA or AA- 11/4
          BBB+ BBB or BBB- 4
          AAA 5
          B+ or worse 6
          BB+ BB or BB- 8

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            How many more of your opinions in this thread have you represented as facts?
            LOL

Have you seen any facts on this thread at all ??????
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              Did you ever consider the rating agencies have people that have a bit of intelligence and might not agree with Project Fear? Talk about brainwashed.
              The rating agencies will consider whether Scotland can be trusted to repay its debts. This is not from Project Fear, but from your own side:

However asked about the negative consequences of not taking on any debt, Mr Beveridge said: "The economists answer [is] obviously it has to be managed very carefully. Many people will call it a default.
              "Technically, if you talk to economists, they will tell you it's not because since you never owned the debt in the first place you're not defaulting on it. But they are not rating agencies."
              He added that credit rating agencies would think that such a move "looks like a default and it smells like a default", raising the possibility of Scotland losing credibility with the financial markets.
              'Entirely possible' Scotland won't share pound after independence, Alex Salmond's top economist admits - Telegraph

Here is what Moody's says in general terms about credit ratings, so this isn't a Project Fear statement:

Ratings agency Moody's has said an independent Scotland could expect an investment-grade credit rating but face higher borrowing costs than the rest of Britain. If negotiations on how to separate proved acrimonious, its rating would be lower.
              http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0H40ZZ20140909

Comment

The rating agencies will consider whether Scotland can be trusted to repay its debts. This is not from Project Fear, but from your own side:

'Entirely possible' Scotland won't share pound after independence, Alex Salmond's top economist admits - Telegraph

There you go, quoting the same source again, most of which you disagree with.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  LOL

Have you seen any facts on this thread at all ??????
                  Did you say something about churchy being a ****?

Comment

Did you say something about churchy being a ****?
                    OK, apart from that one obviously

Please accept my apology for putting a fact on this thread

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that, rather like the No campaign, this thread is useless.

Scotland will vote Yes because it's about how people feel and what they hope for the future. It's a new dawn for both countries.

And, you know what, I doubt anyone will die and both iScotland and rUK will muddle through somehow. It'll be ok in the end.

I can't wait until the results on Friday

Comment

Working...
                      X