• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates with other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robin View Post
    How have you handled anyone who has asked, are you ok and happy to talk rates or not?
    How well I negotiate my rate is my business and nobody else's.

That's how I reply to anyone ignorant enough to ask.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
      'what rate are you getting here?'
      I get paid £7,000 / year.

Plus dividends...
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Plus dividends...
        This is of course the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Plus dividends...
          I'd better have a word with my accountant as I'm on 8,000 / year + divs

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            How well I negotiate my rate is my business and nobody else's.

That's how I reply to anyone ignorant enough to ask.
            When talking to other contractors, I just make up some figures in order to make them feel inadequate.

For permies, I talk about unpaid holidays, no sickpay, ernic, insurances... And then order another bottle of Dom Perignon, explaining it's tax deductable.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

One govt project I worked on, after we all busted our gut and didn't get pay rises, we went down the pub one weds lunchtime and proceeded to get very drunk.

At around 16:00 hrs, someone suggested we go around the table and each share our rate/salary. Which proceeded to happen (around 20 people). You should have seen the looks on each others faces

Within 6 weeks 4 people had left. And within 6 months, half the team. Let that be a lesson to you all

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanOnshore2010 View Post
                One govt project I worked on, after we all busted our gut and didn't get pay rises, we went down the pub one weds lunchtime and proceeded to get very drunk.

At around 16:00 hrs, someone suggested we go around the table and each share our rate/salary. Which proceeded to happen (around 20 people). You should have seen the looks on each others faces

Within 6 weeks 4 people had left. And within 6 months, half the team. Let that be a lesson to you all
                Are you talking permie or contractors here because that comment screams permie which isn't the point of this thread. If you are talking contractors, we do not get pay rises or salaries.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Are you talking permie or contractors here because that comment screams permie which isn't the point of this thread. If you are talking contractors, we do not get pay rises or salaries.
                  It was a mixed team. Anyhow, the numbers were shared.

And strictly speaking, contractors do get salaries...

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanOnshore2010 View Post
                    we went down the pub one weds lunchtime
                    Personally, as I'm running my own business, I avoid the pub at lunchtime - unless the client is paying.

Comment

Contract from my agency explicitly prohibits me discussing the rate with anyone else!

Comment

Working...
                      X