• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates with other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my COO asked me . . . had to lie he was cursing the agency

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      We discuss/brag about rates here tho!
      Some might mention a figure but the majority don't.

An anonymous survey may do the rounds, but I wouldn't go releasing my actual rate on a forum.

It's £1269pd, don't know why they dropped the 11 quid off my requested rate.

Does it mean anything?, of course it doesn't, I'm lying.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Colleagues no.

Other contractors unrelated to the gig, yes of course. I have no issues with it.

£1500 per day if you're wondering.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Some might mention a figure but the majority don't.

An anonymous survey may do the rounds, but I wouldn't go releasing my actual rate on a forum.
          No - I just wait for Hays to email everyone and let them know what rates everyone else is getting....
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            No - I just wait for Hays to email everyone and let them know what rates everyone else is getting....
            Is that email still in the public domain, might be good for a read.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Colleagues no.

Other contractors unrelated to the gig, yes of course. I have no issues with it.
              Pretty much WHS.

People I'm working with, not a chance in hell. With other contractor mates working elsewhere it sometimes comes up but more of a 'state of the market' discussion rather than knob-waving.

And as for the rates posted in this thread, INKSPE.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Is that email still in the public domain, might be good for a read.
                I haven't seen it, nor do I know anyone who has seen it.

It's also not on BitTorrent that I could find
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I haven't seen it, nor do I know anyone who has seen it.

It's also not on BitTorrent that I could find
                  I can't find it either
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I recently replaced a contracter (he was moving on for personal reasons) and on the last day of handover, I asked whether he had negotiated an increase whilst here, what percentage increase, and after how long - rather than talk direct numbers. He was very open about it. I guess some are sensitive about actual numbers.

I was just gauging how long is a sensible time and what was a sensible request with clientco if offered renewal.

Comment

I would discuss rates in the general term such as that role is worth such and such but i would never tell anyone what i am on, i did it once and felt bad afterwards as i felt the person i told then had the upperhand so never again shall i divulge my rate

The team lead for the department once emailed me the details of what all the contractors were getting paid and the agency markup and asked me to forward it on to the agency which was nice but they also on several occassion have told everyone in a team meeting that "the contractors cost us £400 a day" which left them thinking thats what we were actually getting in our hand

Comment

Working...
                      X