• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates with other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

discussing rates with other contractors

Where I am we had a new contractor come in a few weeks ago, doing the same job as me, one of the first questions they asked me was 'what rate are you getting here?' they had only been in the door 10 mins I was a bit taken aback to be honest as I thought this was something you did not mention and to ask that direct was a bit much that early on!

I am leaving my job in a week and they have asked what rate I'm getting at my new one is it much better which I never told them as its none of their business!

How have you handled anyone who has asked, are you ok and happy to talk rates or not?

Originally posted by robin View Post
    Where I am we had a new contractor come in a few weeks ago, doing the same job as me, one of the first questions they asked me was 'what rate are you getting here?' they had only been in the door 10 mins I was a bit taken aback to be honest as I thought this was something you did not mention and to ask that direct was a bit much that early on!

I am leaving my job in a week and they have asked what rate I'm getting at my new one is it much better which I never told them as its none of their business!

How have you handled anyone who has asked, are you ok and happy to talk rates or not?
    If it's someone I know, then I might, at a push discuss it with them. Never for someone who you don't know.

To be honest, I've never worked with anyone who has asked - I've wondered about some people (mainly because they are cretins and I can't understand how they ever find work), but I've neither asked nor been asked.

If I was, I'd get them to tell me first and then say something like 'oh, about that area' without giving any answer. It's nothing to do with them!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd never discuss rates with another contractor nor have I met anyone who has asked for, or offered, that information.

If I was ever asked I think MYOFB would be the most appropriate response.

Comment

I have never discussed numbers with colleagues and so far have never felt the need to. Even if I do get in a discussion with someone I would never give mine.

I think it is pretty unprofessional and can cause nothing but problems. If you are happy on your rate one day and find you are £50 less a day than the guy next to you it is gonna eat you alive and cause conflict.

I find new contractors want to talk about it because these huge numbers are great. Professional ones avoid the subject like the plague (or be take in information if accidently divulged for strategic use)
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have discussed once with other contractors, but only when I got really comfortable with them.

At my last role, they brought in a guy working in a very niche area, he'd ended up only being there a month because he was tulip, and in that time, he told one of the permie devs what he was on, which was substantially more than me - I didn't begrudge it from a projec/tech point of view - but the permies were fuming.

It put me in a tulip position, as I think the permies assumed I was on the same - I told one permie I was "on nowhere near that" which was true.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            I have discussed once with other contractors, but only when I got really comfortable with them.

At my last role, they brought in a guy working in a very niche area, he'd ended up only being there a month because he was tulip, and in that time, he told one of the permie devs what he was on, which was substantially more than me - I didn't begrudge it from a projec/tech point of view - but the permies were fuming.

It put me in a tulip position, as I think the permies assumed I was on the same - I told one permie I was "on nowhere near that" which was true.
            If the permies hear a figure, I always tell them I'm on nowhere near that - whether it's true or not. If they find out they are, then you can just say "the agency must be making a killing!" and blame it on a mutual enemy.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I was asked my rate on Friday while in the pub by a permy who sits near me but doesn't actually work in the team I support, and the simple answer is "I don't discuss my rate", with a bemused "you dumbass for asking" look, and "considerably more than you" thought. . End of conversation.

As you say I may discuss with someone that I am very comfortable with, but never otherwise.

Have seen 2 perms go practically head to head shouting about salary and bonus once, bonus day about 3 years back. Conflict and aggrevation. Not worth the agro.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I was asked my rate on Friday while in the pub by a permy who sits near me but doesn't actually work in the team I support, and the simple answer is "I don't discuss my rate", with a bemused "you dumbass for asking" look, and "considerably more than you" thought. . End of conversation.

As you say I may discuss with someone that I am very comfortable with, but never otherwise.

Have seen 2 perms go practically head to head shouting about salary and bonus once, bonus day about 3 years back. Conflict and aggrevation. Not worth the agro.
                Just to help calm the waters, wait until February 29th next year and highlight that you're getting paid for the day, while permies are all working for free.

That always helps.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

We discuss/brag about rates here tho!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Just to help calm the waters, wait until February 29th next year and highlight that you're getting paid for the day, while permies are all working for free.

That always helps.
                    God I love leap years. Extra day's pay or extra day's holiday?

I have a couple of contractor colleague / friends who I work with from time to time, and we sometimes discuss rates, but I would neve otherwise engage in such conversations. Having said that, got a suspicious look from a permie today when he figured out that my monthly train ticket + parking ticket is nearly £900.

Comment

Working...
                    X