• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "discussing rates with other contractors"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I thought conventional wisdom is don't talk about money at interview, as it makes you look greedy and not interested in the job itself?
    No thats just a bag of w*nk dreamed up to make sure you don't go discussing rates in front of the guy that could end up paying as much as 40% more for you...

It doesn't need to be handled to distastefully. Just go along the lines of "So I have bid for this work at XXX rate. I based this on 8 hours a day and no need to work overtime or go traveling halfway across the country... Does this suit your expectations? Obviously i can do the odd hour more but if you expect me to live on site we need adjust the figures to suit both of us..."

does that make me look money grabbing??

I am a contractor. what the hell do you think I am here for? (hint: its not the canteen or your wonderful team environment )

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post

I always get stuck into to the client about rates at the interview stages.
    I thought conventional wisdom is don't talk about money at interview, as it makes you look greedy and not interested in the job itself?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    No, he was explaining that if people know you are on £X per day then they will presume that you can multiply this by 260 to get a salary which is a wrong assumption for them to make.
    Or you could also bill the client for all the work you do and end up with a nice back log of hours that require claiming while you are sat on a beach.

I always get stuck into to the client about rates at the interview stages. It keeps the agent honest, and at that point I have not signed any confidentiality agreements preventing the discussion. I have a offer on the table as of friday, but I think the agent is trying to up his cut.
    So my first job on Monday will be to phone the customer to accept the job and while I am at it to ask why he feels the lower offer is justified If I am right, I will be back on the rate I expected by the end of the morning. otherwise I will be satisfied that the end client (a consultancy firm) are as stingy as I had heard they are...

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    It's not something to discuss freely, however it is worth comparing notes on occasion with people you trust to ensure you aren't actually undercharging or if you want to gain an understanding of the going rate in a sector you are new to. As mentioned you still have to take what is said with a pinch of salt depending on who you are asking. Some people won't discuss it, some will talk in generalities and some will just tell you exact amounts. I find it's more of an etiquette issue than a business issue, after all we have most to gain by knowing if we are competitively priced not the companies we are contracted to.

I've known people who have spent years accepting crappy rates because they'd assumed that's what everyone was on, but never checked.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Wow! You work every single working day of the year?
    No, he was explaining that if people know you are on £X per day then they will presume that you can multiply this by 260 to get a salary which is a wrong assumption for them to make.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    You sound like bags of fun!
    Pie and a pint on Friday is part of the unwritten working relationship with the client! Been to some places where you're looked on as if you have herpes if you suggest a pub lunch on a quiet Friday, usually there's a single, chubby, friendless permie manager up the food chain who looks down with contempt on those who don't spend every minute of a day thinking about work.

Leave a comment:

• StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
    replied
    Originally posted by keninparis View Post
    Personally, as I'm running my own business, I avoid the pub at lunchtime - unless the client is paying.
    You sound like bags of fun!

Leave a comment:

• StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Not even my family or close personal friends know how much I earn per day. Mostly because I don't want to explain that £x rate * 260 days is not the same as a salary of the same amount. Also they don't need to know. I've been pushed on it a few times and usually just answer "enough to make me happy".
    Wow! You work every single working day of the year?

Leave a comment:

• jonathanOnshore2010
    replied
    I always tell the end client what rate I'm on. As that lets them verify the agent is taking the right commission (which for banks and PSL's is almost always a flat percentage). Once this uncovered a large agency taking almost 30% when it should have been 12%... that caused a lot of problems

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    Contract from my agency explicitly prohibits me discussing the rate with anyone else!
    Yeah, whatever.

This is probably because they don't want the client to find out that they are taking a massive margin.

Leave a comment:

• Joeman
    replied
    Contract from my agency explicitly prohibits me discussing the rate with anyone else!

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Originally posted by jonathanOnshore2010 View Post
    we went down the pub one weds lunchtime
    Personally, as I'm running my own business, I avoid the pub at lunchtime - unless the client is paying.

Leave a comment:

• jonathanOnshore2010
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you talking permie or contractors here because that comment screams permie which isn't the point of this thread. If you are talking contractors, we do not get pay rises or salaries.
    It was a mixed team. Anyhow, the numbers were shared.

And strictly speaking, contractors do get salaries...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jonathanOnshore2010 View Post
    One govt project I worked on, after we all busted our gut and didn't get pay rises, we went down the pub one weds lunchtime and proceeded to get very drunk.

At around 16:00 hrs, someone suggested we go around the table and each share our rate/salary. Which proceeded to happen (around 20 people). You should have seen the looks on each others faces

Within 6 weeks 4 people had left. And within 6 months, half the team. Let that be a lesson to you all
    Are you talking permie or contractors here because that comment screams permie which isn't the point of this thread. If you are talking contractors, we do not get pay rises or salaries.

Leave a comment:

• jonathanOnshore2010
    replied
    One govt project I worked on, after we all busted our gut and didn't get pay rises, we went down the pub one weds lunchtime and proceeded to get very drunk.

At around 16:00 hrs, someone suggested we go around the table and each share our rate/salary. Which proceeded to happen (around 20 people). You should have seen the looks on each others faces

Within 6 weeks 4 people had left. And within 6 months, half the team. Let that be a lesson to you all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X