• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    any disclosure of clearance is a breach of the OSA
    I've been wondering how far this goes. If someone tells an agent "Yes, I have clearance" then that's a breach. However, if someone tells an agent "No, I don't have that clearance", is that allowed?

On the face of it, that's not revealing anything confidential, and someone without clearance probably hasn't signed the OSA. However, I can imagine a conversation like this:
    Agent: "Do you have DV clearance?"
    Contractor: "No, I don't"
    Agent: "How about SC clearance?"
    Contractor: "I can't answer that question"

By implication, they're saying that they do have SC clearance, which would then be a breach. So, is it better for people who don't have the clearance to also say "I can't tell you that"?

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      If someone tells an agent "Yes, I have clearance" then that's a breach. However, if someone tells an agent "No, I don't have that clearance", is that allowed?
      I can't tell you that.

Comment

To be entirely fair, it depends to whom you are disclosing the information. Someone who genuinely has a need to know, such as a potential client, there's no issue. However, extending that to an uncleared (usually) agency drone who doesn't have a need to know - on the official basis that you don't need clearance to apply for a role - is probably a breach.

Ditto all those nerks on LinkedIn who have "SC Cleared PM" on their profile. Tell them they haven't, since they are out of a job, and it has therefore lapsed immediately and you get shouted at...

Which doesn't answer the question, I accept, other than to say the question has no meaning. But in the real world, follow your conscience.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can state "Cleared to a high Government standard' on your CV but no more. Source.

Interestingly that is based on employers not insisting on prior clearance, which in my experience is very much not the case.
          Last edited by SussexSeagull; 18 April 2021, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            You can state "Cleared to a high Government standard' on your CV but no more. Source.
            I believe I've said that before in the past, from the same reference

Interestingly that is based on employers not insisting on prior clearance, which in my experience is very much not the case.
            Well yes. HMG know the rules, as do their departments and all related hiring authorities, and they have been told and reminded fairly often. As you say, it's ignorant/lazy consulting partner managers and agencies looking to cut their list of applicants that ignore them, and permit the creation of websites such as "Security Cleared Jobs".co.uk and lead to "I got SC" on LinkedIn profiles and the like.

Yet another case of HMG ignoring the real world...

(To be fair the group I was working with - a couple of jobbing contractors, PCG as was, the Cabinet Office and REC inter alia - ten years or so ago were fully aware of the rules and were instrumental in getting them both clarifies and restated. WE then ran into the brick wall of enforcement of something that in law (for obvious reasons) has no basis.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Can someone please offer some advice maybe know or have heard somebody in a similar position (not just say be honest please I understand that)

I am applying for SC clearance i have 2 convictions which lead to me do some porridge time. This was all when i was under 18 that was more than 8 years ago and now all convictions have become spent.

I've never been in trouble since in any way shape or form i have completely changed my life around but now in the position where i need to undergo SC clearance to get the role I've worked for since my teens.

Will i be granted this ?

Comment

I have noticed more and more that SC roles are appended with this.

*** Please note these roles require UK defence security clearance to SC level as a minimum, you must be SC clearable to apply for this role ***
                Highlight in bold added by me. This is what it should be. Evidence of previous clearance gets you to the shortlist easier.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  I have noticed more and more that SC roles are appended with this.

Highlight in bold added by me. This is what it should be. Evidence of previous clearance gets you to the shortlist easier.
                  Indeed but sadly it's just agency rubbish. What on earth does 'clearable' mean? Only a very small minorty will be definitely 'unclearable' but we don't really know. Bit of a silly statement really.

But we also know that even having previous clearance won't make a difference in 98.76% of cases.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xar18 View Post
                    Hi all - I am currently completing the SC form for a new role, and wanted to ask about the HMRC investigation section. I was part of a scheme for circa 9 months (circa 2012), received the HMRC discovery/enquiry letters a few years back asking for settlement as per others, and fully settled within about 12 months with no further activity since then.

My query is whether this constitutes a formal 'HMRC investigation' that should be detailed on the SC form, or falls under general HMRC activity about taxes owed that doesn't need explicitly referenced.

Any pointers welcomed. Thanks
                    Is there anyway I could see SC questionnaire. Is this available to public. I would like to get a glimpse of all inputs required for SC application?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete30 View Post

Is there anyway I could see SC questionnaire. Is this available to public. I would like to get a glimpse of all inputs required for SC application?
                      Would that not constitute a security risk or away yo game the system...?

Answer the questions honestly to the best of your knowledge. That's all the advice we can give.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X