• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Mon, May 10, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I have done in the past. The reason for asking is (a) to check your financial position and (b) to call your employer if they have any questions, which is unlikely to happen for basic SC. Also they may want to compare your tax returns with your stated employment record.

    Certainly I've neve had any comeback.
    So do I just put my company as an employer?

    The reason I am asking is straightforward. My taxes are up to date. Never had any criminal or financial issues. In my current contract, they want to process my SC which I am happy to go ahead. I just want to know what to put in there.

    (b) to call your employer if they have any questions
    Does that mean I will be answering questions about myself? Bit weird, isn't.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 28 January 2021, 19:44.

    Comment


      So apparently even the most basic security clearance requires all and any periods spent in Airbnbs, hotels, at a girlfriend's house abroad etc. to be logged (although this can be done in a roll-up sense i.e. lumping together all time spent in country-x). For the preceding five years.

      Can anyone who's more of a veteran of the security clearance process chime in on the usefulness and relevance of this?

      Comment


        Originally posted by zerosum View Post
        So apparently even the most basic security clearance requires all and any periods spent in Airbnbs, hotels, at a girlfriend's house abroad etc. to be logged (although this can be done in a roll-up sense i.e. lumping together all time spent in country-x). For the preceding five years.

        Can anyone who's more of a veteran of the security clearance process chime in on the usefulness and relevance of this?
        They have to have an end to end record of where you are. No good having massive gaps where you might have been on an outward bound holiday in Afghanistan or detained at her majesties pleasure. The point of being checked for security is for them to know everything they need to about you. People with less than stable living arrangements could be perceived as a problem for many reasons.

        that said I'd ask why it matters. You do it and get it or you don't and you don't.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

        Comment


          Perhaps worth reminding people in general that even if some of us know detailed answers to some of the question posed in here, we aren't going to answer them in anything other than general terms. Apart from anything else, we don't want people understanding too much when they aren't cleared to know it for fairly obvious reasons!!

          The old rule still applies - apply and see what happens.
          Blog? What blog...?

          Comment


            Good start here

            How to get Security Clearance | Security Cleared Jobs
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

            Comment


              Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Bad start there. That site's whole approach contravenes Cabinet Office guidelines. You don't need clearance to apply or anything with very few exceptions.

              And as I said above, I really don't think detailing how things like DV and eDV work is a good idea. If you need it, you will already know about it.
              Blog? What blog...?

              Comment


                You should just take a view on this. Feel free to listen to whichever opinion tickles your fancy. I am so tired of the contrarian view, that I can't be arsed anymore.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  You should just take a view on this. Feel free to listen to whichever opinion tickles your fancy. I am so tired of the contrarian view, that I can't be arsed anymore.
                  I agree and I don't even know what contrarian means!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Bad start there. That site's whole approach contravenes Cabinet Office guidelines. You don't need clearance to apply or anything with very few exceptions.

                    And as I said above, I really don't think detailing how things like DV and eDV work is a good idea. If you need it, you will already know about it.
                    Welcome to democracy. The site itself presents basic information and will help those understand the type of role that they are applying for.

                    Generally, if the role requires DV and, of course, eDV, then you are required to be on site for the role. During present times it therefore makes sense to avoid these roles if you absolutely can, unless you wish to work in a very quiet environment, typing on a computer all day with no other human contact.

                    The sad thing about DV and eDV roles is that they do not pay more than the medium market rate, whereas they should definitely be paying far more given the requirement to be on site and the coronavirus distancing requirements.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I agree and I don't even know what contrarian means!
                      Basically pointing out you think someone is wrong?

                      That site may be public domain but its ethos is that only about 30% of contractors are eligible apply for roles within it - which is a nonsense since by strict application of the rules either everyone is (you don't need clearance to apply) or nobody is (your clearance lapsed when you left your last job)..

                      But hey, what do I know about national security rules...
                      Blog? What blog...?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X