• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    *Sigh* just got another one
    I am getting about one a week at the moment, looks like it's a new trend in terms of the wording.

They all seem to be using the same script as well which I find confusing, I reckon they all sit down in the same pub and swap notes.

Comment

Today's LinkedIn invite:

We have some exciting new projects ... and new positions in the pipeline for the 2nd quarter of the year 2014
      Better hurry up clearing that pipeline, since the second quarter of 2014 ends in a couple of weeks...
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        *Sigh* just got another one
        they've given you just 48 hours to return your two references, WTF!?... did you actually apply for that role?

Comment

Another one from the Ageis Group:

"Yes your CV/application was positive but they are interviewing another guy who had already supplied us with references. Just so you know. He gave us references. And you haven't."

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

"Yes your CV/application was positive but they are interviewing another guy who had already supplied us with references. Just so you know. He gave us references. And you haven't."

qh
            Yeah, right....
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
              Put in a subject access request under the Data Protection Act, just to piss them off.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

20 mins

Started off quite well - then I started smelling a rat half way through ...... then they delivered the punchline - I must say I was a little terse with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                  20 mins

Started off quite well - then I started smelling a rat half way through ...... then they delivered the punchline - I must say I was a little terse with him.
                  I dont know why agents still do this, do any contractors actually still give out leads like this? Why are these guys still asking contractors for references AND doing it over email which is the most ignorable form of communication ever.

Comment

Originally posted by reformation View Post
                    I dont know why agents still do this, do any contractors actually still give out leads like this? Why are these guys still asking contractors for references AND doing it over email which is the most ignorable form of communication ever.
                    It's usually the junior one's who've been in the job 5 minutes, beats flogging mobile phones or double glazing I guess

Comment

I had an interesting twist on the two references recently. Mail from agent mentioned the EEA required them to check references so they needed two in the last three years. Was kind of odd as it was in the same mail asking me to Opt out, which was after introduction to the client etc etc but anyway... Ignored everything and got asked about references again. I advised I didn't need to give them, if I did it would only be one as I have been with the last client quite awhile. On top of that it would only be the agent so no good to them as a sales lead. Agent said a personal one would be fine as long as he got two. He is required to check two references as part of the SLA with the client. Yer right, anyway, wasn't worth getting in to a fight so passed them on. They mentioned it before interview but only asked outright once I had an offer BTW

Lo and behold, both references did get contacted, neither were pestered for any kind of sales gumpf and when I get in to the client and made a few enquiries they do indeed insist on two references. Now there is a turn up for the books!

I think the thing I would say about this is yes, keep your guard up, know when is the wrong and right time references should be asked for. Sometimes..... just sometimes the agent isn't trying to be devious and brushing them all off could cause you problems with your gig.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X