• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Wouldn't bother. If I don't get a job offer, they don't get a reference. You should know how it works by now in FS.
    It does weed out the jokers though as it is slightly indicative as a pro forma.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
      Just a heads up that some agencies are now pretending to be employers recruiting directly.
      For what it's worth I got my last two gigs without needing references .
      It's worse than that Jim...

Some clients have outsourced their HR to agents like Resource Solutions who are really Robert Walters, but without the "high ethical standards" we know an love from RW.

Comment

Had one today, seemed pretty convincing, checked the pimp's name on LinkedIn and seemed to check out, he cracked when I threw the "How much are they offering" question back. So for the first time in over a decade, I actually GAVE the refs....I'm leaving IT in a few months, plus I just gave the email addy's of:

1) HR lady's from a FTL gig 3 years back, and ;
        2) Matey's name from an Indian consultancy I did some stuff for last year.

Am I right in thinking that probably nothing come of this all, and I may have broken ranks with protocol here?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sung View Post
          Had one today, seemed pretty convincing, checked the pimp's name on LinkedIn and seemed to check out, he cracked when I threw the "How much are they offering" question back. So for the first time in over a decade, I actually GAVE the refs....I'm leaving IT in a few months, plus I just gave the email addy's of:

1) HR lady's from a FTL gig 3 years back, and ;
          2) Matey's name from an Indian consultancy I did some stuff for last year.

Am I right in thinking that probably nothing come of this all, and I may have broken ranks with protocol here?
          I have no objection to anyone giving contacts of Indian consultancies to recruitment agencies. During my time at Wipro it took 6 weeks for them to get a company laptop working so they emailed me an excel spreadsheet of the company directory. I still to this day respond to every fishing request with the details of people who were abusive to me. I have been requested by Wipro to stop doing this. Shame it was a mate of yours, next time choose one of the many

Project Directors
          Programme Managers
          Senior Project Managers
          Project Supervisors
          Lead Project Managers

that the Indian consultancy supply to every ClientCo to support the one engineer who actually does the work.

Comment

I just need to get two references ...

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            I have no objection to anyone giving contacts of Indian consultancies to recruitment agencies. During my time at Wipro it took 6 weeks for them to get a company laptop working so they emailed me an excel spreadsheet of the company directory. I still to this day respond to every fishing request with the details of people who were abusive to me. I have been requested by Wipro to stop doing this. Shame it was a mate of yours, next time choose one of the many

Project Directors
            Programme Managers
            Senior Project Managers
            Project Supervisors
            Lead Project Managers

that the Indian consultancy supply to every ClientCo to support the one engineer who actually does the work.
            Wipro here too mate, I've worked in a couple of low-rent operations, who actually were WORSE than Wipro, but for a company with over a half-dozen 8-figure contracts and a truckload more in pipeline (I've seen it), they never shake of that "Yes boss" mentality. Which I know about all too well, being ancestrally Indian myself.

Matey is ok, he gives refs to all and sundry, it's my ACTUAL two bosses who were a pair of <mod snip no rudeness in Professional forums please> scould have hilariously decked the more senior one. Yet another manager, on my very very last day there, wanted me to finish some 35pp report I the deck-worthy manager agreed I was only was supposed to paste a couple of tables into, just because it had my name on it.

"I am very disappointed in you Sam".

"Disappointment builds character. Embrace it", as I walked off into the cold night.

Comment

Originally posted by sunflower View Post
              Amoria Bond put fake ads up all the time to source references and new business for themselves. Also known to try to force contractors to use payroll. Don't waste time with them.
              GCS did this today. I responded to an Ad on jobserve. Got a call a few hours later. Boy this pimp rabbits on for ages.

Then the two references thing. I said at offer. Then he said it would jeopardise my chances if I didn't give them up front.

I said I was fine with that. Bye.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Project Directors
                Programme Managers
                Senior Project Managers
                Project Supervisors
                Lead Project Managers

Like that idea. Must wind them up getting calls from agents all the time.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Darwin. 3 hours on the phone yesterday, letter of representation comes with the 2 references request. Boy they must be desperate.

Client is requesting it.

That's a shame. Pointed towards Wipro.

Comment

ARM Information Technology.

Laying it on thick. Really thick. Must be desperate.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      ARM Information Technology.

Laying it on thick. Really thick. Must be desperate.
                      Notes the poster, agrees wholeheartedly.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X