• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
    Looking for a .NET gig in London at the moment and I've been plagued by nuisance calls (although to be fair there are plenty of legit agency jobs being put my way). Most of them come from having my details on CWJobs.

Just a heads up that some agencies are now pretending to be employers recruiting directly. One called me claiming to be from the BBC, the other from Lloyds Banking Group. Again they blah blah blah you at first and then get to the we need a reference thing - or they'll say they need to know who you've got offers/2nd interviews with. I don't need to say how disastrous it is for you to get additional competition at this stage.

Another thing I've found is that some agencies will promise to forward you to their client but never do. If you particularly want to work at a specific client and it's through an agency then just be aware your details might never have been sent there.

For what it's worth I got my last two gigs without needing references .
    If you want to work for a particular client, contact them directly.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
      Looking for a .NET gig in London at the moment and I've been plagued by nuisance calls (although to be fair there are plenty of legit agency jobs being put my way). Most of them come from having my details on CWJobs.

Just a heads up that some agencies are now pretending to be employers recruiting directly. One called me claiming to be from the BBC, the other from Lloyds Banking Group. Again they blah blah blah you at first and then get to the we need a reference thing - or they'll say they need to know who you've got offers/2nd interviews with. I don't need to say how disastrous it is for you to get additional competition at this stage.

Another thing I've found is that some agencies will promise to forward you to their client but never do. If you particularly want to work at a specific client and it's through an agency then just be aware your details might never have been sent there.

For what it's worth I got my last two gigs without needing references .
      Tell them to send you an email to which you will reply with your references. They will probably never send you an email at all, but if they do, It's easy to spot if the from address is bbc.co.uk or lloyds.com

Comment

German Pimp from Amoria Bond today:

GP - Zis is xxxxxx from Amoria Bond. I found your CV on Jobserve and I have a role in South Germany which is fantastic.
        FLC - Impress me
        GP - Thanks for that discussion. I have a meeting with the client in 30 minutes and I would like to put your CV forward.
        FLC -
        GP - I will send you an email with further details and of course, as you are aware and as it is a norm in this industry, you need to reply with three references. The client insists that they need these checks before we even get started.
        FLC - Not my company's policy to reveal details of references unless an offer has been made. All the best.
        GP - <convincing tone about why he needs references>
        FLC - Thanks, but no thanks!

Comment

I love it when an "agency" I have never heard of (amongst those I have heard of) rides into my life via a telephone call, telling me how wonderful the job they are punting is. No one gets references from me prior to being put forwards. I have now started to ignore calls from an agent who has the most unusual middle name EVER ! The most unscrupilous guy I have dealt with. I am old enough and have done this job long enough not to be turned over by these guys. Latest role offered was a 12 month gig at a defence company down south. I am interested in working for this crew, the agent said he would put me forwards and send me a confirmation email, NO EMAIL, (this was on a Friday afternoon) For once I chased it on the Monday young girl on Switchboard says OH HE LEFT FRIDAY !
          Put through to a colleague who said he was only a temp ! I said I tend to forget things but not its my last day ! Let me check says the guy yes, he has put you forwards I can see you on the client portal ! Yeahhhhhhh and pigs can fly heard nothing unsurprisingly

Comment

Asked recently for references by both Austin Fraser and Roc Search.

Comment

Roc Search are notorious for this

Comment

Can I ask a question: Are there any contracts for which the end client (not the agent) does genuinely want to have references before interview? Perhaps some large bureaucratic companies?

If the answer to this is none or very few, then it would seem there is little to be lost by refusing to provide references.

However if a lot do, then by refusing to provide them you are cutting out possible roles you could do.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  Can I ask a question: Are there any contracts for which the end client (not the agent) does genuinely want to have references before interview? Perhaps some large bureaucratic companies?
                  Probably

If the answer to this is none or very few, then it would seem there is little to be lost by refusing to provide references.
                  There are usually lots of people applying for every contract, so usually the agent has the upper hand.

However if a lot do, then by refusing to provide them you are cutting out possible roles you could do.
                  Correct.

Comment

I have tried referring recruiters to references I have been given via LinkedIN (none of my references are reciprocal). Usually they are not in my contacts list though so I don't think they can see who the reference was given by.

Some agents (i.e.: Kite) refused to work with me because I wouldn't give references.

Happy to give as many references as they want as long as that happens AFTER I see a job offer.

Comment

Originally posted by joy division View Post
                      I have tried referring recruiters to references I have been given via LinkedIN (none of my references are reciprocal). Usually they are not in my contacts list though so I don't think they can see who the reference was given by.

Some agents (i.e.: Kite) refused to work with me because I wouldn't give references.

Happy to give as many references as they want as long as that happens AFTER I see a job offer.
                      Wouldn't bother. If I don't get a job offer, they don't get a reference. You should know how it works by now in FS.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X