• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked for me!

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Been out now for 3 months - 1 month was moving house and sat on my hole for the last 2. Usual story, Jobserved to death, and now dealing with the cretins.

Over the last month, nearly every agency has asked for two references before they will "put me forward". Now I didn't come down in the last shower, so I've refused thus far. You want the name of someone in my ex company who works in IT - ring reception you lazy twat?

I've just got off the phone with another guy, who after giving me the usual pie in the sky job spec (Yeah, PM job in the city, dude) had a standoff viz revealing my referees. However, and as much as I don't want to believe it, he seemed genuine enough that the company needed two references.

I've worked in IT long enough to smell agency horse manure from 1,000 yards, but it got just wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar reference request which turned out to be genuine?
    Yes, actually. There was an extremely competitive position (once in a lifetime role, good rate) at a very famous global brand. I applied for it via one agency, had a great interview, but then it went....quiet.

Another agency I was already registered with suggested I apply for the role - I told them I already had, to which the agency cheerily told me they were interviewing lots more people...

This worried me, especially since the agency I'd applied through didn't know what was going on. (In actuality the company were silent because they weren't in any rush as the programme was still getting underway, and it was still pretty quiet when I started). In desperation, my agency said - why don't you give us your references and we'll see if it prompts them to snap you up?

I was suspicious, but I really, really (really) wanted the role. In fact I'd just turned down a role that paid the same day rate, mainly because I was holding out for this contract.

It apparently did the trick. My referees were a very enthusiastic bunch, so I do believe that swung it as almost immediately afterwards I was offered the contract.

I think you can tell when an agency is trying to help you or has other plans. Certainly my referees didn't get pestered so it was all legitimate.

Comment

Just got a call from an agency that replying to an online application on JobServe and the guy was super nice saying how well suited for the role I am and all the usual bollocks.

Then he went on saying he was going to forward the CV to the client today and to expect a phone interview on Monday. All was going great and we were just about to hang up when he said "I only need 2 references in order to send your CV to the client" to which I replied "I only provide references when I get a job offer, if that's a dealbreaker then I wish you all the best."

He said it is a dealbreaker and happily hung up the phone. I've had many of those before but I do feel the position was truly genuine... This thread helps a lot actually. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by guicane View Post
        Just got a call from an agency that replying to an online application on JobServe and the guy was super nice saying how well suited for the role I am and all the usual bollocks.

Then he went on saying he was going to forward the CV to the client today and to expect a phone interview on Monday. All was going great and we were just about to hang up when he said "I only need 2 references in order to send your CV to the client" to which I replied "I only provide references when I get a job offer, if that's a dealbreaker then I wish you all the best."

He said it is a dealbreaker and happily hung up the phone. I've had many of those before but I do feel the position was truly genuine... This thread helps a lot actually. Thanks all.
        If the role was real and if you are such a good match the agent would forward you, also without references, this means it was clearly a fake ad and a fishing expedition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          If the role was real and if you are such a good match the agent would forward you, also without references, this means it was clearly a fake ad and a fishing expedition.
          +1

Comment

Wow, pimps are not even subtle anymore

"We have contractors looking to work for XYZ ClientCo and have noticed you worked with them in the past, can you let me know the name of the hiring manager there"

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

AF and the man with the unusual middle name has kicked off the silly contact hunting season in my area with a job to good to miss, but "only apply if you can interview this week, or next" Here we go..here we go, Its been signed off as this company is traditionally busy at this time of year, and HR have authorised a contract resource for 4 MONTHS !!! Not many days left this week for interview, so it will be next week for most after no doubt providing reference details. Brought a smile to my face when I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Wow, pimps are not even subtle anymore

"We have contractors looking to work for XYZ ClientCo and have noticed you worked with them in the past, can you let me know the name of the hiring manager there"

Wonder if recruitment agencies have a checklist on their office walls of the number of different ways they've tried to get reference information off candidates (when they've posted fake jobs) and failed. Maybe they get a weekly email off the boss with new ideas to try?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  As I've said before had one guy who promised on his mothers life he wouldnt use the reference info for sales leads.

So I gave him name of guy at client who I was good mates with and told him what I was doing and he agreed to play along and pretend he was my manager at client.

Sure enough literally 10 mins later, agent phoned my mate. Asked him briefly about me and then said "so you need any contractors then".

Agent even phoned me back and I told him what had been done and he denied it!

LOL, his mother must be dying right now....
                  Last edited by Lola C; 18 November 2015, 19:31.

Comment

Got a call from an agency last night, a guy calling who was clearly fresh from school, you could hear it at the way he spoke, not exactly comfortable, but there was another guy probably listening in on a second head set or something and I could hear this second guy whispering all the time to the newbie what he had to say and ask. All the ususal blah blah and when the call was almost finished when I heard a whisper "references".
                    So the newbie asked oh yeah before we can submit you I need you to give me two references, it's the client's policy not to accept any applications without references.
                    So I gave my usual answer "only on offer"
                    Then I could hear the whisperer in the background say something like "cut" and the call was promptly finsished
                    Last edited by Eirikur; 18 November 2015, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Got a call from an agency last night, a guy calling who was clearly fresh from school, you could hear it at the way he spoke, not exactly comfortable, but there was another guy probably listening in on a second head set or something and I could hear this second guy whispering all the time to the newbie what he had to say and ask. All the ususal blah blah and when the call was almost finished when I heard a whisper "references".
                      So the newbie asked oh yeah before we can submit you I need you to give me two references, it's the client's policy not to accept any applications without references.
                      So I gave my usual answer "only on offer"
                      Then I could hear the whisperer in the background say something like "cut" and the call was promptly finsished
                      Seems it's the season for fresh pimps at the moment. I've a few emails from ex-double glazing salesmen in the last few days. One was congratulating me on being "shortlisted to his personal talent pool" and asking me to call to discuss some exciting new roles and finding out about my experience and situation. The guy was obviously really good at shortlisting as he'd only just joined the firm.

I don't know how I avoided calling up for a ten minute discussion about where I'd worked before and who my "managers" were. It was a difficult decision to make.

Do people really fall for the really obvious lead generating emails?

Comment

Working...
                      X