• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Brilliant put down, if only it was'nt accidental

Being in admin I have time to spend on here, for someone who is so professional and spends so much time on each contractor he forwards you do spend a lot of time on this site. Tell me how you do it and I can pass it up the line of command.. I am sure the post room would love to know.
    Im unsure what you mean by "accidental". I was suggesting you work on low level positions, where it's all about slinging the first 10 CV's that have odd key words which might be appropriate.

Being able to use this site, allows me some insight into what it's like to be a contractor, where I can be different, how I can immediately pick up the respect of contractors, and how I can beat the cowboys (yes that's you) to arranging the basics of recruitment (pick up job, find candidate, check skills, culture and history, place).

I am very organised, but also put a little time aside a day to gain insight and knowledge from a variety of sources - keeps me ahead of the game, whether its market knowledge, or moans from contractors about what people like you have been up to. now take that!
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      and it never is

ftfy

An agent that is fishing for leads.

Immediate answer is "they do not have an actual post to fill."

Bulltulip. FUD. Lies. We all know it and so do you.
      If this was true, why would TAV claim otherwise? You think he reckons planting a few seeds here will affect his business, or he's just lying for fun? He needs a motive to lie.
      Also RC, where is your knowledge to make these assertions so boldly?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        stuff
        Goodness gravy. This was last month. Have you been agonising over my having a go at TAV all over Xmas and New Year? Bless.

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
        If a reference is a pre-requisite of CV submission
        and it never is
        If this was true, why would TAV claim otherwise?
        Eh? Have you got that back to front?

Do you mean "Why would TAV want references when the client doesn't?" If that is your question, re-read this thread from the start. It is what it is all about.

You think he reckons planting a few seeds here will affect his business, or he's just lying for fun? He needs a motive to lie.
        TAV is (probably, but I'm not 100% sure) an agent, and agents are habitual liars.

Also RC, where is your knowledge to make these assertions so boldly?
        We shall see: survey.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Goodness gravy. This was last month. Have you been agonising over my having a go at TAV all over Xmas and New Year? Bless.
          This thread is stickied so I often miss new posts and jut pop in every now and then.

Eh? Have you got that back to front?

Do you mean "Why would TAV want references when the client doesn't?" If that is your question, re-read this thread from the start. It is what it is all about.
          You misunderstand my question. I meant WHY would he make up about needing references when speaking anonymously on a forum? Part of a long game to adjust contractor mindsets?

Comment

You misunderstand my question. I meant WHY would he make up about needing references when speaking anonymously on a forum? Part of a long game to adjust contractor mindsets?
            a)
            b)
            TAV is (probably, but I'm not 100% sure) an agent, and agents are habitual liars.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              Unless you think that the CV should be taken as gospel, at which point, I have some HORROR stories I can tell you.
              Yes please. I'd love to hear one. I've worked at a place who brought in two turkeys in a row (me not being one I hasten to add )

Comment

No. Not why would he want references - why would he bother defending the statement that agents are required to get references, in this forum? I don't see what he gains.

Comment

No. Not why would he want references - why would he bother defending the statement that agents are required to get references, in this forum? I don't see what he gains.
                  So that we'll provide them when he asks for them 'cos some bloke on the Internet said they need them sometimes.

And because earlier in this thread, and others, he has been called out to defend himself and feels his 'honour' is threatened and must make a stand. Whereas DodgyAgent has balls of iron and can defend himself, TAV is often a bit insecure and unconvincing.

Anyway, how about asking TAV why he lied?

Comment

How do you react to an agent that calls you, is fairly rude to you? Says that there is no way he can progress your application unless you give two references to him. He has sent me his details to provide him with my references details.

I just want to respond to him with where he can go to get those references. Just am in shock at how rude he was!
                    Last edited by Hawkeye; 27 January 2011, 15:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                      How do you react to an agent that calls you, is fairly rude to you? Says that there is no way he can progress your application unless you give two references to him. He has sent me his details to provide him with my references details.

I just want to respond to him with where he can go to get those references. Just am in shock at how rude he was!
                      2 options:

1. Completely ignore him (odds are vanishingly remote that there's a real opportunity anyway)
                      2. Write a "polite" note declining his request

In reality if there's a genuine opportunity that the agent thinks you stand a good chance of getting then he will be far more interested in getting you in front of the client and the contract signed off than arsing about with pointless references.

In my (and most contractors) experience the whole agent wanting references thing is a pathetic smokescreen for them fishing for contacts to cold call.

Comment

Working...
                      X