• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the "Just need 2 references" call from an agent today.

He said it's required as the end client is public sector - also needed my NI number.

I'm assuming that the ease with which I was able to dismiss him by refusing to provide references means that he was talking BS? Or are things different now & public service roles need references up front before interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      Had the "Just need 2 references" call from an agent today.

He said it's required as the end client is public sector - also needed my NI number.

I'm assuming that the ease with which I was able to dismiss him by refusing to provide references means that he was talking BS? Or are things different now & public service roles need references up front before interview?
      Where in the process are you? I'm assuming if he wants your NI number you are someway down the process so your post is a little misleading. Becareful about dismissing them as well. I've been in a public and private sector role where the client did require references from successful applicants. I've confirmed this is true with the client when I started.

If you haven't got the gig yet I'd guess the agent is either waiting for the outcome or was being cheeky.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Where in the process are you? I'm assuming if he wants your NI number you are someway down the process so your post is a little misleading. Becareful about dismissing them as well. I've been in a public and private sector role where the client did require references from successful applicants. I've confirmed this is true with the client when I started.

If you haven't got the gig yet I'd guess the agent is either waiting for the outcome or was being cheeky.
        As far down the process as it's possible to be.

Was cold called by agent after he found my CV on Jobsite. He said that the provision of references at this stage is a normal requirement for public sector roles these days.

Like I said, I called his bluff and he folded pretty sharpish leading me to think he was feeding me BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
          As far down the process as it's possible to be.

Was cold called by agent after he found my CV on Jobsite. He said that the provision of references at this stage is a normal requirement for public sector roles these days.

Like I said, I called his bluff and he folded pretty sharpish leading me to think he was feeding me BS.
          Erm.. Isn't as far down the process you sitting at a clients desk? You've only just started the process.

As I said before I did have to give references before my public sector gig and they were checked even though I gave agency names so he could be right but that isn't the right time.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Erm.. Isn't as far down the process you sitting at a clients desk? You've only just started the process.
            Err, yes. I meant the opposite of that.

I'm as far up the process, if you like. Not even out the traps yet....

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
              Been out now for 3 months - 1 month was moving house and sat on my hole for the last 2. Usual story, Jobserved to death, and now dealing with the cretins.

Over the last month, nearly every agency has asked for two references before they will "put me forward". Now I didn't come down in the last shower, so I've refused thus far. You want the name of someone in my ex company who works in IT - ring reception you lazy twat?

I've just got off the phone with another guy, who after giving me the usual pie in the sky job spec (Yeah, PM job in the city, dude) had a standoff viz revealing my referees. However, and as much as I don't want to believe it, he seemed genuine enough that the company needed two references.

I've worked in IT long enough to smell agency horse manure from 1,000 yards, but it got just wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar reference request which turned out to be genuine?

They have approached me with this several times. My varying approaches and outcome to handling it each time may be of use here :

Twice in the same week, I was called with this exact templated approach. The conversation never starts as one intended to be mutually beneficial. As said before, trust your instinct, there is some unquantifiable human ability to perceive, even over the phone. One of the tell tale signs is they immediately steer the conversation to cast the caller as the powerfully connected agent and callee
              as an unemployed paraiah (watch voice tone and time they give you to respond to questions). I believe they use a manipulative technique called “negging”. This is why the fake calls last longer than the real ones because they need the room to manipulate you down from a well seasoned high IQ Engineer to whatever they need you to be. Amazingly easy to do.

On the first occasion, I gave the caller the benefit of doubt, despite my gut feeling. It all felt like a mental burglary, much more antithesis on getting my two references and any other useful information. Also watch out for, "Does Dave Smith still work there?... blah blah ... we did some work with them a few years back etc etc" .

To hedge my bets, I gave the agent two references, comprising of a fake number for one and a name I knew they already had for the other. Suprise suprise, the implied "sure thing" telephone interview did not happen. Later that week, the same person called me back. He likely didn't realise I was skeptical and thus prime to be burgled twice in the same week.

This time, there was a superficial "update" as per his gargantuan efforts re the first contract, but he has another on hand and just needs to ask me about, X Company , "Is that the one on X road.. Does Pete still work there... who do I speak to there...Which country is your name from?" . I find the latter question worrying as it was asked with the same tone of deception.

This time I found it just plane offensive and hung up on him.

At a later time, his colleague called , who seemed to be aware that I had "spoken to his colleague". Thinking about it, I detect some type of office prank because he basically walked into the same arse whooping. Before he started his spiel , I let him know that I was not interested in any fishing expeditions. Further, I am an open person willing to divulge appropriate information should there ever be a mutual relationship, but I don't know him from Adam. This immediately took the power out of him. He dispensed with the spiel and addressed a supposed role. Interestingly, no follow up email afterwards .

Conclusion: My experiences so far confirm that this is a disingenuous outfit . As mentioned before, Imagine a struggling film agent calls Brad Pit to offer him the role of the lifetime, but first , he spends 15 minutes hour "negging" his past accomplishments before asking for the contents of his phone book before they can talk further. Doesn't make sense does it ?

Comment

Had this yesterday. He suggested he wouldn't put me forward unless I have references in advance. I refused, he's putting me forward anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                  he's putting me forward anyway.
                  Don't bet your house on it, unless he sent you actual proof, he did so.

Comment

Got this last week from an agent who on closer inspection on LinkedIn was working in a jewelers one month ago, after clearly giving up on a law career. Gave them the benefit of the doubt and just told them to look at my LinkedIn refs as my old company only uses a central mail account for reference requests (which is true) so I didn't want to annoy them by giving individual details out. Maybe they'll contact the individuals through LI or maybe the phishing has just hit a dead end. We'll see if the mythical telephone interview ever materialises...

Comment

You're very unwise if you permit agents on your LinkedIn to see contacts from client companies.
                      They will never leave the poor beggars alone and they're bound to mention that they've spoken to you which won't help your relationship with the ex clients at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X