• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gravy Train View Post
    I had a 30 minute 'discussion' with a global recruitment agency who i had gone in to meet with regards to them pimping out my services. I was only in there for 45 minutes

In spite of several lengthy contracts with large companies he insisted that he would not be able to put me in front of a client before he had personally contacted my two previous references himself, implying that i may not be as good as i say i am and i may bring shame on his agency.

I also added that i am registered with all of the major agencies and not one of them has insisted on contacting my references before putting me forward for a role or even registering me

I did back down somewhat by saying that if he can secure an interview for me then i would pass him the names of the references

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil but suffice to say i do not expect to get a call from him
    Reed?

Just give him the names of the two previous agencies you'd work through or say as past client's have a PSL, all reference request must go to their HR not named individuals.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravy Train View Post
      I had a 30 minute 'discussion' with a global recruitment agency who i had gone in to meet with regards to them pimping out my services. I was only in there for 45 minutes

In spite of several lengthy contracts with large companies he insisted that he would not be able to put me in front of a client before he had personally contacted my two previous references himself, implying that i may not be as good as i say i am and i may bring shame on his agency.

I also added that i am registered with all of the major agencies and not one of them has insisted on contacting my references before putting me forward for a role or even registering me

I did back down somewhat by saying that if he can secure an interview for me then i would pass him the names of the references

Unfortunately they are a necessary evil but suffice to say i do not expect to get a call from him

Then if he does secure an interview for you, tell him you only give references to client at the end of the interview.

It's your company policy, see? You've spoke to your own HR and even Management but they wouldn't budge.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        I had a great one the other day...

Pimp: I'm calling as I have a very exciting opportunity, but I can't tell you anything about it just yet. Can you send me references and contact names of all the people you worked for , for the last few yrs

Me: I don't send references until I have a job offer

Pimp: Oh ok, I'll have to see what my boss says about that..... Could I add you on Linkedin?

Me: I tell you what, when you have a JD you can share, send it to me and if I am interested I will get back to you.
        I used to argue with them, but now they just hear this reply from me:
        <click>
        <continuous disconnection tone>

Comment

I'm getting a lot of "We have this special, pre-selected pool of candidates. Would you like to be part of it? I just need to speak to a couple of people you've worked with."

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            I'm getting a lot of "We have this special, pre-selected pool of candidates. Would you like to be part of it? I just need to speak to a couple of people you've worked with."
            Sounds like Tek Systems and their 'virtual bench'!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              I had a voicemail from one of their minions this morning looking for an update on my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                You win, but they aren't alone!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  You win, but they aren't alone!
                  No, they're not.

And I've made a point of nor replying to similar requests.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

play em at their own game

just tell them to contact my Agent@Agency. as the contract was between agent and company and i was a "service provider".

They have never contacted the Agent.

I always offer references to the client directly at interview they are usually grateful and state they didn't request them!

Comment

Call from an agency that sounds like 'Dead'.

Pimp: Hi Mr. FLC , you ok?
                      Me: Yeah?
                      Pimp: Just calling to check if you are still working at Client A.
                      Me: Yeah?
                      Pimp: Are you still reporting to Mr. Jack Arse ?
                      Me: No. (Wonder what "still" meant)
                      Pimp: <<Acts surprised>> Oh, I was told he is managing all contractors.
                      Me: I see. Never heard that name.
                      Pimp: Who do you report to then?
                      Me: I don't report to anyone.
                      Pimp: <<Sheepish laugh>> I meant, who do you work with?
                      Me: Why do you want to know?
                      Pimp: <Slapped> <Stutters> <Doesn't know where to hang her head>
                      Me: I'll tell you what. Why don't you call me when you have a role that we could both discuss?
                      Pimp: Sure, great plan. I'll send you an email with my details.
                      Me: Good luck!
                      Pimp: <<Beep>>

What a stupid woman!

Comment

Working...
                      X