• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If the interview is secured and planned just ignore that request. They're not going to cancel it.
    WHS. Pimp is trying to get a bit of bonus on the deal like a few more contacts for him.

Also, he knows if you get this gig and take it then you might be leaving somewhere else. He now has the managers details there so he could get a doubler - placing you somewhere else and replacing you with someone else. Result for him.

I would ignore. Chances are he'll drop it. If he carries on just say no I will provide to client if needs be and like others have said, no way in a million years will they cancel the interview.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If the pimp pushes for them just say that you need to check with the people first before handing over their details for references and you will make sure you have two refereneces with you at the interview that you can hand over if the client asks for them.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        WHS. Pimp is trying to get a bit of bonus on the deal like a few more contacts for him.

Also, he knows if you get this gig and take it then you might be leaving somewhere else. He now has the managers details there so he could get a doubler - placing you somewhere else and replacing you with someone else. Result for him.

I would ignore. Chances are he'll drop it. If he carries on just say no I will provide to client if needs be and like others have said, no way in a million years will they cancel the interview.
        This. The real risk if you're in a contract is that the pimp phones your current client and says that he's happy to replace you now you're leaving.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          This. The real risk if you're in a contract is that the pimp phones your current client and says that he's happy to replace you now you're leaving.
          & that's the most awkward conversation I've ever had with a cllient.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
            & that's the most awkward conversation I've ever had with a cllient.
            It's even more awkward when you are permie and the pimp sends your CV to your boss (unsolicited, obviously), telling them that they have the perfect candidate for the vacancy they have
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

That's just good recruitment practice. If an Agency has done a good job for you, gone about things the right way etc - there's no real reason to not give a contact name.

I've asked for, and received, this many times in the past... and the manager of the company where the person has left, has been happy to speak and use our services... often taking on a candidate that was interviewed for the initial job.

Providing a reference before a job interview/offer I agree, is bonkers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
                That's just good recruitment practice. If an Agency has done a good job for you, gone about things the right way etc - there's no real reason to not give a contact name.

I've asked for, and received, this many times in the past... and the manager of the company where the person has left, has been happy to speak and use our services... often taking on a candidate that was interviewed for the initial job.

Providing a reference before a job interview/offer I agree, is bonkers!
                The problem is that there are many cowboys in the recruitment industry. Some of them even have websites that are not compliant with relevant legislation(!), so it's a real minefield working out who you can trust to act in a professional manner.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  The problem is that there are many cowboys in the recruitment industry. Some of them even have websites that are not compliant with relevant legislation(!), so it's a real minefield working out who you can trust to act in a professional manner.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Had a nice young man from IQ Tech call me "having seen my CV" and mentioning upcoming roles in "several large retail and financial organisations".

Pimp: "So, where are you working now?".
                    Me: "...... Is this a fishing call?".
                    Pimp: "Er...no we have several upcoming roles in financial organisations".
                    Me: "Ring me if you have a real role. Thanks".

Click.

Comment

Jamie Kerry from Henlow Associates.

'Been up all weekend going through hundreds of CV's for a role and found 3 people, you are one of them!' etc.

Requires details of 3 past Interviews before you can be submitted for a role via Accenture for a contract 40% over market rate. Details needed include interviewer name, Interviewer Position, Company, Daily Rate.

Henlow actually have a form for this that you complete and send back

'As part of the recruitment process and requested by our client please provide the details of your most recent 3 interviews.'

'Please send back completed form as quickly as possible to enable us to progress your application.'

I did not play ball, guess what, no call back.

Comment

Working...
                      X