• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overlapping Dates between Old and New Job

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AloeVera17

Thank you, I will read the guides. My concern with starting the new job was that I was concerned about any potential tax implications with HMRC , as I still have to fill out a P45, so if I start the new one while still being contracted to the old, I'm not sure of what the tax implications would be. I imagine the tax will be horrendous but I'm guessing it would be better to say on the P45 that "I have had another job since 6th April but this is now my only job" and let them tax me accordingly?
    Please start calling it a contract. It isn't a job, its a contract. I'm sorry to say this gets more complictated going forward as you are on your own contracting.

I assume you are inside IR35? And with an umbrella? So let them sort it out.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Tax is paid on what you earn - it’s not a problem merely something you have to do.

the issue you have is that gardening leave is just that - it’s money paid to stop you working for someone else - working at the same time and your old employer can and will seek to recover (all) the money they’ve paid you while you were on that gardening leave or stop you working for way longer
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AloeVera17

You know what, I'm getting really tired of your sarcastic comments. I'm trying to get advice here and your snarky comments aren't helping. I don't care what its called. Job, contract, I dont care. But if it offends you so much that I call it a " job " then maybe its best that you leave the thread, at least that way my use of words won't bother you anymore. Thank you.
        It actually matters. It's not just a matter of semantics. If you want to become a career contractor, you have to start thinking like one. If you don't, you're likely to run into problems. Having a job and an employer is different from having a contract and a client. Sure, we talk loosely about bosses, employers and jobs wrt contracts - but when you start it is important to get the terminology right, so you have the right mindset.

If you're working through a brolly, are you aware that the employers NI will come out of your fee? If you're working through your own ltd co, are you aware the fee is your company's, it's not yours.

There's no problem from a tax perspective have multiple concurrent jobs. Plenty of people do it. HMRC are only concerned about collecting the tax and NI.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think you'd be brain dead to care, tax is between you and HMRC. Simply do the overlap, you're on gardening leave, those initial 5 days will be onboard, context gathering etc.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And stop using the work job It's not a job. It's a contract with a client. Take some time to read the first timers guides in the link to the right.
            One man bands and companies in the trades use the word "job" almost exclusively, it means nothing more than some work for a person or company.

Comment

Knowing this:
              Originally posted by eek View Post

the issue you have is that gardening leave is just that - it’s money paid to stop you working for someone else - working at the same time and your old employer can and will seek to recover (all) the money they’ve paid you while you were on that gardening leave or stop you working for way longer
              Have you spoken directly to the client not the agency about not being available for 5 days?

As I bet you haven't.

One thing you need to know as a contractor is that while your contract may be with one legal entity e.g. agency, you may need to talk directly to another entity yourself e.g. client to sort out issues such as start dates, days off, extensions, end date.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

One man bands and companies in the trades use the word "job" almost exclusively, it means nothing more than some work for a person or company.
                It's fine to use the word 'job' when you have an idea of what your status is but the starter of this thread clearly doesn't as they are asking basic questions about HMRC and overlapping start dates .

northernladuk NotAllThere won't pull up regular posters who use the incorrect terminology in most of the time, but there is a good reason why they are pulling up a newbie.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Knowing this:

Have you spoken directly to the client not the agency about not being available for 5 days?

As I bet you haven't.

One thing you need to know as a contractor is that while your contract may be with one legal entity e.g. agency, you may need to talk directly to another entity yourself e.g. client to sort out issues such as start dates, days off, extensions, end date.
                  This.

There's no point in coming onto an internet forum to find out what a bunch of strangers thinks you can and cannot do. You need to speak to the companies involved.

1. Ask the company you are going to work for if they can delay for the period of time required. That's ask, not demand.
                  2. Ask your previous employer if they are prepared to release you from the contract early. Again, that's an ask, not a demand.

The only reason I can think of that 2 might be an issue is that if your previous employer has given you some kind of redundancy payment that may have clauses in it, that would mean you may have to pay back some/all of any redundancy.

It's probably also worth your while getting your umbrella company sorted out while you're waiting for the contract to start
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It actually matters. It's not just a matter of semantics. If you want to become a career contractor, you have to start thinking like one. If you don't, you're likely to run into problems. Having a job and an employer is different from having a contract and a client. Sure, we talk loosely about bosses, employers and jobs wrt contracts - but when you start it is important to get the terminology right, so you have the right mindset.

If you're working through a brolly, are you aware that the employers NI will come out of your fee? If you're working through your own ltd co, are you aware the fee is your company's, it's not yours.

There's no problem from a tax perspective have multiple concurrent jobs. Plenty of people do it. HMRC are only concerned about collecting the tax and NI.

OK. Thanks

Last edited by AloeVera17; 31 March 2023, 07:52.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

This.

There's no point in coming onto an internet forum to find out what a bunch of strangers thinks you can and cannot do. You need to speak to the companies involved.

1. Ask the company you are going to work for if they can delay for the period of time required. That's ask, not demand.
                      2. Ask your previous employer if they are prepared to release you from the contract early. Again, that's an ask, not a demand.

The only reason I can think of that 2 might be an issue is that if your previous employer has given you some kind of redundancy payment that may have clauses in it, that would mean you may have to pay back some/all of any redundancy.

It's probably also worth your while getting your umbrella company sorted out while you're waiting for the contract to start

Ok Thanks
                      Last edited by AloeVera17; 31 March 2023, 07:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X