• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overlapping Dates between Old and New Job

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overlapping Dates between Old and New Job

Post deleted.
    Last edited by AloeVera17; 31 March 2023, 11:39.

Warning, incoming manchildren whinging about the word "job"

That said - just tell your new place you're not going to be available when they originally said and that you'll be round on [date of your choosing]. They get it all the time, they're used to delays - trust me, they'll take it.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Warning, incoming manchildren whinging about the word "job"
      It's not whining at all. It's a very important lesson. OP has to learn to be a contractor and that includes using the right terminology. If they had a clue what they were doing then they wouldn't need to ask questions like this. Using a term like job is an indication of a much bigger problem so point this out and they might learn something.

But back to the OP's question. If the contract says you can't start the contract while you work for another company then to do that would put you in breach. It's pretty black and white really. Question is what will the fall out be? Who knows? Maybe no one will give a monkies because it's only 5 days at the end and was only really meant to be to stop peope double billing. But you might get a-hole that's all about the rules and you are in breach, no question.
      That said - just tell your new place you're not going to be available when they originally said and that you'll be round on [date of your choosing]. They get it all the time, they're used to delays - trust me, they'll take it.
      This. They want you to start immediately because the agent starts earning commission from the day you start. They've put all the hard work in, spent time finding you, client interviews etc. If they are adamant you can't delay by 5 days they'd have to go through it all again which will take a lot longer than 5 days and will piss their client off. They are just trying it on to get you in faster so they can earn more money.

You have position power because they want you and it will take longer to find someone else so just push back.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And stop using the work job It's not a job. It's a contract with a client. Take some time to read the first timers guides in the link to the right.

Comment

Take a sickie.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            Take a sickie.
            . I took sick leave for a few weeks for the sake of my mental health
            Already did.

Comment

Originally posted by AloeVera17

but they said they wanted me to start immediately so I can't delay my start date on the new job.
              They can certainly say it, and want it - but a big part of contracting is the understanding that the arrangement is one of mutual agreement - you'll come when you're ready, and they'll like it.

Be professional and reassuring, say there are some personal reasons you can't be available that day bit you can do day+5. They really will understand - it'll be far more expensive to them to let you go and start the process again.

Similarly, when you want to take time off, you're not asking for leave - you're telling them you're unavailable.

I know from your perspective this feels like career suicide and I can understand not wanting to F up a good thing.

But it another way - if you were certain you were starting on Monday and they needed to delay a week, I can assure you they'd have no hesitation. Make that relationship mutual.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by AloeVera17 View Post
                Can I just start the new job (on the 15th) despite the fact that my old contract wouldn't end till the 20th?
                Just to clarify, are you still actively working at the old (permie) job, or have they put you on "gardening leave" for your notice period? If they've closed down your account etc., and this is only a technicality then I doubt the new client will care, but you can present them with the choice. I.e. "I'm happy to start with you on the 15th, but if you'd prefer me to wait until the 20th then that's fine too."

If you're still doing work for your old employer, that makes things more complicated. Among other things, how are you going to fit in the hours for both of them at once?

Comment

The other thing you can do, if working remotely is say to the difficult parties "ok, I'd like to help you out here, as long as you're comfortable me doing both at the same time" - just alternate your meetings through the day. If they don't like that then new place should wait. Or ask to be let go early from old place.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by AloeVera17

Hi, thanks for this. No, I am not actively working for the old employer. I am on a "garden leave" for my notice period and they are currently closing my account already.
                    So, bearing in mind that clause is really to protect the client/agent from unscrupulous contractors who think they can hoodwink them in to working two gigs just becaue they are remote and you aren't really doing that just tell the agenty you've finished and can start the gig. Tiny bit of a risk but unlikely to materialise so just go for it.

I'm 100% they'd wait 5 days as we've already said but if you want to go for it then just tell them they've let you go early and you can start when they want.

In the meantime read the guides to the right and get your head around your new way of working. You are no longer a perm and aren't in a job so got to have a whole different mindset.

Comment

Working...
                    X