• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how long do you typically stay on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    Yeah but I'm having hard time explaining it to the interviewers
    Had a few in a row as well
    Covid can be blamed for two of them
    I could blame the 2019 elections on one working for the government and purdah was declared, so all projects and new investments halted until after the elections

Comment

In reverse order starting with current gig, with some details of client size

2yr 8m (v large public sector, stayed way longer than expected due to the pandemic, IR35 change in private sector,
      brexit uncertainty, and laziness due to WFH for that entire period)

1yr 6m (large private sector, left extension on table when they wanted to put contractors inside IR35. Only contract I've ever chose to leave.)

2yr 5m (v large private sector, highest day rate, couldn't bring myself to quit, ended naturally)

5m (v small private sector, 15 people tops)

1yr 3m (v large private sector)

2yr 6m (large public sector)

1yr 2m (v large public sector)

1yr 5m (v large private sector)

7m (large private sector)

My ideal contract length would be 1.5 to 2 years, as I prefer a bit of longevity in my contracts. Admittedly I have had a few go over 2 years.
      I have avoided digital agencies for this reason. Tend to be shorter contract lengths (and don't pay as well usually).

Comment

No average.

Incidentally with my last few clients I've done more than one project for them so it looks like I've been with them longer than I have as I've taken a few weeks off between them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'd be more interested in hearing people's shortest gigs. Who's walked on day 1 after finding out the role was not as expected. Who's turned up to find out the project has been canned and never made it past reception?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I'd be more interested in hearing people's shortest gigs. Who's walked on day 1 after finding out the role was not as expected. Who's turned up to find out the project has been canned and never made it past reception?
            An old colleague once told of being frog-marched out of the building on DAY 1.
            He raced a car in the car park to get the last space, gave the guy a two-fingered salute and then found out it was one of the bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by I am tired TIRED View Post

An old colleague once told of being frog-marched out of the building on DAY 1.
              He raced a car in the car park to get the last space, gave the guy a two-fingered salute and then found out it was one of the bosses!
              I hope you said 'Cool story bro' as that is one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile to point of being difficult to believe.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I hope you said 'Cool story bro' as that is one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile to point of being difficult to believe.
                It's a hoax and most of the time the story is about an applicant and their interviewer, posted many times by people on LinkedIn claiming it to be their story and for real

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

It's a hoax and most of the time the story is about an applicant and their interviewer, posted many times by people on LinkedIn claiming it to be their story and for real
                  Like the guy who pushed someone of a full tube. Then turned up and it was the interviewer.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Like the guy who pushed someone of a full tube. Then turned up and it was the interviewer.
                    There is some truth in it - I know of people who were rude to the reception staff and so went from the preferred candidate to a nope in the 30 seconds after they left the building.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There is some truth in it - I know of people who were rude to the reception staff and so went from the preferred candidate to a nope in the 30 seconds after they left the building.
                      I read something like this on LinkedIn.

Comment

Working...
                      X