• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how long do you typically stay on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

There is some truth in it - I know of people who were rude to the reception staff and so went from the preferred candidate to a nope in the 30 seconds after they left the building.
    Indeed but that's just general professionalism as a supplier to a client. You could argue it's not too dissimilar to perms but the fall out for them isn't as extreme or as quick. If you are the type of person that is quick to be rude to a client then you are in the wrong job.

Oddly enough I've found the best people to butter up at a client (in the old days) was reception, canteen staff, security and cleaning/facilities staff. Not essential to the role obviously but helps no end getting stuff done without having to always go through pesky processes (and get a bacon butty when there are none left).
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 September 2022, 10:33.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Indeed but that's just general professionalism as a supplier to a client. You could argue it's not too dissimilar to perms but the fall out for them isn't as extreme or as quick. If you are the type of person that is quick to be rude to a client then you are in the wrong job.

Oddly enough I've found the best people to butter up at a client (in the old days) was reception, canteen staff, security and cleaning/facilities staff. Not essential to the role obviously but helps no end getting stuff done without having to always go through pesky processes (and get a bacon butty when there are none left).
      receptionists know everyone and everything. Piss them off at your peril.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

https://twitter.com/elsatanico/statu...658?lang=en-GB

went viral for a while too https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-31538480

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-09 143803.gif Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	4232458
        Last edited by jmo21; 9 September 2022, 13:41.

Comment

No such thing as a typical time to stay on a contract.
          Of course there can be when you ask an individual and the OP is collectively asking us as individuals our experiences.

For instance, I do not think I have done any stints less than a year except for some freelance stuff. I might have once had a 6-month or 9-month initial schedule based on running to the end of the current year - my most frequent client favours contracts that end when they stop for Christmas

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Of course there can be when you ask an individual and the OP is collectively asking us as individuals our experiences.

For instance, I do not think I have done any stints less than a year except for some freelance stuff. I might have once had a 6-month or 9-month initial schedule based on running to the end of the current year - my most frequent client favours contracts that end when they stop for Christmas
            And as you can see from the massively varied responses there is no such thing as typical. I went on to explain why. He's looking for an answer he can gauge his experiences on and there isn't one.

Typical - showing the characteristics expected of or popularly associated with a particular person or thing

It can't be expected or popularly associtated with a contract for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

receptionists know everyone and everything. Piss them off at your peril.
              I once refused a perm job because the receptionist pissed me off. Had interview 5 PM, she said wait here, switched off the lights, went home without saying something and left me sitting in the almost dark. 15 -20 minutes later I was grabbing my coat to leave and at that moment some HR woman came to pick me up. Went ahead with interview, got the job, but I declined and gave them as reason their receptionist.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

I once refused a perm job because the receptionist pissed me off. Had interview 5 PM, she said wait here, switched off the lights, went home without saying something and left me sitting in the almost dark. 15 -20 minutes later I was grabbing my coat to leave and at that moment some HR woman came to pick me up. Went ahead with interview, got the job, but I declined and gave them as reason their receptionist.
                Erm... really? Fair play for sticking to your principles but that's a pretty stupid reason to be turning down a job if you don't mind me saying.

Comment

Erm... really? Fair play for sticking to your principles but that's a pretty stupid reason to be turning down a job if you don't mind me saying.
                  +1 - I would have turned it down for the interviewer being 20 minutes late but not for the receptionist doing her job…
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There were more reasons of course (such as receiving an offer for my first contract ever), but this one helped me making the choice easier

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      but I declined and gave them as reason their receptionist.
                      Real classy.

Comment

Working...
                      X