• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how long do you typically stay on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheDude
    replied
    Until they notice the post it notes and screen wipes going missing.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

FTFY
    well, quite

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some disguised permies been here 5 or 6 years.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.
    Current place, very well known public sector, can't hire people like me because of low salary bands. Some contractors been here 5 or 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    sometimes you are genuinely just bringing something they need for a few days or weeks, to cover a gap in their knowledge, or maybe they just want a fresh set of eyes to look at an issue, or troubleshoot. sometime you are covering a peak in their work which they cannot cope with internally. sometimes its a longer term project that they want doing, but without a long term perm headcount. sometimes they simply cannot get anyone to take the job perm, and so it can be very long term as a contractor.

all are valid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.
    Without a doubt

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
    I do use them/they for people but in this instance the developer was given the pronoun "he" so there was no need.

And yes it was clearly the client who was stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

I'm guessing 'them' instead of 'him' answers the question. I don't think SE is young enough to be using them/they pronouns for people.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	catty.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	4235752

Meeeow!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Them being the client or the developer?

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

That was a bit stupid of them....
    Them being the client or the developer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X