• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Almost 100 applications but only 10 or so callbacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is unusual for me to not get at least a phone screen for every contract position I apply to.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      It could be the start of the next IT jobs downturn.

US Tech stocks have been down for a while.

But the S&P 500 blue chips entered a bear market only last week.

Cypto has crashed as well with layoffs in that sector.

Base interest rates going from 0 to 3.5%

Hiring freezes will come first.

Followed by rate cuts and layoffs.

I think the next 12 - 18 months are going to be brutal.

3 weeks on the bench is going to seem like a picnic.
      Nope. Problem is much much closer to home.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bradforester View Post
        SNIP

Guess I’m just looking for some reassurance as I haven’t been out of work this long in 10 years.

Your last sentence worries me. It's June, it's summer, take some time off. Are you really desperate to work and-or living beyond your means?

This is the best 8 to 12 weeks to be off. Unless you have personal financial commitments that are not immediately fixable, I would recuperate and not worry about a lack of responses to adverts yet. There is a downturn coming, that much is clear, but if you're a broad skilled full stacker then you'll be fine.

Comment

Of the 100 applications, how many were via agents you knew?
          How many of the 100 did you call the agent and speak to them about it before you put your application in?
          How many times did you follow up with a second call after the application went in?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I would be a little more selective if you can. 100 applications? Are all of those a 80% + match to your skillset? IF yes then it sounds like there is a surplus of your skill that you have found 100 to apply for, which could answer why you have only had 10 callbacks. Try to highlight your USP to the end client.

One of the things you are up against right now, is summer holidays. Getting the right hiring/project manager in place to make decisions, at this time of year can be tough.

Of the ten callbacks what happened with those? Did you get to next stage to pitch to your client?

I think overall though you are not targeting correctly the end client or your skills.

It's tough at times particularly June/July and December don't despair something will come.
            Last edited by GregRickshaw; 16 June 2022, 11:28.

Comment

I've experienced paradigm shifts several times in my working life where previously marmite skillsets became obsolete.

- Are you confident that you are up to date with your skills, and your fullstack skills are not missing some critical more fashionable ingredient ?
              - Is there an emphasis in the job specs on specific sector experience, that you are missing?
              - Is your job titling in your CV for previous roles relatively consistent (some clients want to know you have been doing the same sort of work continuously for a long time, with approximately the same title). Prefixing with 'Senior', 'Lead' or 'Principal' can emphasise your expertise, although everyone does this.
              - Do you have the relevant certification in your critical areas of expertise? Can help.
              - Have you paid attention to key words in your previous contracts?

All the best
              ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Of the 100 applications, how many were via agents you knew?
                How many of the 100 did you call the agent and speak to them about it before you put your application in?
                How many times did you follow up with a second call after the application went in?
                Of the 100 applications, how many were out of date/expired/removed from market (looking at you Jobserve)
                Of the 100 applications, how many were duplicates (the same role just harvested from elsewhere)

I'd not be surprised if some of those 100 ended up reaching the same person (agent or client) multiple times - to them, that may have smacked of desperation (and perhaps considered you a time-waster) and they got filed as appropriate.

If i were you, I'd be more selecting in what i applied for.

And, yes, 3 weeks is no time - before quitting any role with nothing else lined up, ensure you have at least 3 months spending set aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If i were you, I'd be more selecting in what i applied for.
                  This.

Also make sure even when you are in a contract you bother replying to companies and agents who you have had contracts through who contact you for work to tell them you aren't available now but your contact ends on x date.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

This.

Also make sure even when you are in a contract you bother replying to companies and agents who you have had contracts through who contact you for work to tell them you aren't available now but your contact ends on x date.
                    +1

I have half a dozen faintly embarrassing intermittent WhatsApp conversations with old contacts about work that I never end up taking

Comment

There is a lot of work. Current client looking for C# .Net applications developers and embedded C developers (Medical Devices). Received about 20 CVs, had 5 interviews, hired 2 contractors, 4 contractors and 6 permie positions still available.

I get approached on LinkedIn with leads at least once a week.

Comment

Working...
                      X