• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unrealistic deadlines/workload

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unrealistic deadlines/workload

How do you tactfully say no can do?! Client had dropped a ton of work on Friday to be done within 2 months. It’s more like 6 months of work...having a meeting tomorrow to discuss but it’s impossible...and I’m not signing up for it ?..

Work out what you can deliver, with timescales, and ask them to say which they want doing first.

Or tell them the truth and leave them to it.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Depending on what it is, can you deliver a basic version within the two months and their full requirements with more time?

This is your opportunity to show your worth as a professional by reviewing the work package and then giving realistic timelines with interim deliverables that will demonstrate progress.

Having a hissy fit about too much work, too little time is the wrong way to approach this.

Comment

What Malvolio and LM says.

Think agile and give them options. What can be done that will give them some functionality? What can be done on a smaller scale?

The important point is to be confident in your proposals and not be bullied into the ‘all at once’ quart in a pint pot.

You’ve got to be more comfortable with your own capabilities and can give the ‘if you don’t like it fire me and see if someone else can do what you demand (spoiler - they can’t)’ attitude if they try to bully you.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What everyone else says.

Breakdown the requirements work out the interdependencies on them and then work out how long each part will take (being realistic).

Also work out what the minimum viable solution is (if there is one) and work out a plan for that separate to the whole project.

Then you need to present them with that as a backlog and ask them to prioritise their requirements given the work required and the timescales.

And if they can't do that be prepared to walk away rather than promise the impossible.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They don’t tend to listen...that’s the issue! It’s a real muddle this is the client who told us not to work as there were issues. It’s a mess for many reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              They don’t tend to listen...that’s the issue! It’s a real muddle this is the client who told us not to work as there were issues. It’s a mess for many reasons...
              You do what others have suggested up thread.

Then you send an email stating clearly what was discussed in the meeting with sufficient detail to cover yourself.

Keep a copy for yourself.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
                Then keep repeating yourself like a broken record, and do what you’ve told them you will do.

i would also start looking for another contract. If they then fire you it’s not your problem.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Work past the deadline and just keep going. Works for Crossrail and co - unless the deadline means someone's going to die, they're rarely enforceable.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

You're a company - act like it and negotiate (as per the comments above - break down the work, show them why its 6 months and make it their problem to prioritise).

How would a builder you had taken on to build an extension react if you suddenly said you wanted an extra floor added and it had to be done in 2 days?
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 16 May 2022, 07:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X