• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract requests 10m 'civil liability insurance' - anyone else seen this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract requests 10m 'civil liability insurance' - anyone else seen this?

Hi,
    As the post title says, I have been asked to provide £10m Civil Liability insurance for a new contract. After a bit of reading the key difference between Professional Liability and Civil liability is that under Civil liability you can be required to pay out even if you are not negligent.

"In terms of professional indemnity insurance, a 'civil liability' wording is the widest available form of cover and wider than the usual 'negligence' or 'errors and omissions' wordings. This wording will cover situations where a policyholder may be held liable for a loss, without having being found to be negligent. "*

Seems a tad extreme. I have pushed back gently, requesting that we stick to the 'standard' insurances and await a response from the agent.

Is this something that anyone else has been asked to provide?

Cheers,
    Tony

*What does Civil Liability mean? | Professionalindemnity.co.uk

How much does £10m civil liability cost?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyTallTony View Post
      Hi,
      As the post title says, I have been asked to provide £10m Civil Liability insurance for a new contract. After a bit of reading the key difference between Professional Liability and Civil liability is that under Civil liability you can be required to pay out even if you are not negligent.

"In terms of professional indemnity insurance, a 'civil liability' wording is the widest available form of cover and wider than the usual 'negligence' or 'errors and omissions' wordings. This wording will cover situations where a policyholder may be held liable for a loss, without having being found to be negligent. "*

Seems a tad extreme. I have pushed back gently, requesting that we stick to the 'standard' insurances and await a response from the agent.

Is this something that anyone else has been asked to provide?

Cheers,
      Tony

*What does Civil Liability mean? | Professionalindemnity.co.uk
      I think that’s a good call. If you are an IT contractor you should need anything more than the standard liability insurance.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        How much does £10m civil liability cost?
        I've not been able to get a quote so far. That's part of the issue.

Comment

As a contractor you'll be asked every so often to provide Employers Liability insurance. If you don't have any employees (other than yourself) then it's not needed. In the same way, I would just send through your standard professional indemnity and see if that shuts them up. Or pay for it, but it sounds like it could be called up on...
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Just to give some context what do you actually do?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well Mr (or Mrs) agent, once I have obtained a quote I will advise the required uplift in rate which will be non negotiable. I already carry these (list them) please tell me why these are not suitable within (timeframe) or I will accept another offer without fail.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                As a contractor you'll be asked every so often to provide Employers Liability insurance. If you don't have any employees (other than yourself) then it's not needed. In the same way, I would just send through your standard professional indemnity and see if that shuts them up. Or pay for it, but it sounds like it could be called up on...
                Not always; I've had to provide employers liability in case I employ someone after I'd accepted the contract! Madness but the cost of the EL insurance wasn't enough to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Just to give some context what do you actually do?
                  Hi northernladuk. I offer Procurement, Contract and Vendor management services. This is for a large org based in US but with a UK presence.

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyTallTony View Post

Hi northernladuk. I offer Procurement, Contract and Vendor management services. This is for a large org based in US but with a UK presence.
                    So that could be why they want civil liability instead of professional indemnity in case you handle a bad deal and they can claim rather than you actually doing something negligent or wrong?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X