• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - no work to do, client sending me home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - no work to do, client sending me home

Client has some issues system down etc we’ve been told not to work. Not sure when it will be fixed....given no choice just told don’t logon and work as we can’t fully work. Any thoughts? Obviously they don’t want to pay when we won’t be fully occupied...

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Depends on a few things - what is the relationship? Do you have a business to business contract or are you a no-rights employee? Or an employee?

Comment

Client has some issues system down etc we’ve been told not to work. Not sure when it will be fixed....given no choice just told don’t logon and work as we can’t fully work. Any thoughts? Obviously they don’t want to pay when we won’t be fully occupied...
      "some issues"

"not sure when it will be fixed"

Is it that the server room has gone up in flames and will take 3 weeks to recover/rebuild, or is it something that will take a few hours to fix?

If it's the latter, I'd suggest that it's Friday, go out and enjoy the sunshine.
      If it's the former, consider looking for a new client.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

i would not be too reactive, give it the weekend at least and scrub up your CV.

the longer the system is downfor, the bigger the development backlog becomes.

Comment

This is day two. No idea when problem will be fixed could be days ...maybe longer.

Comment

The issue was made worse when a contractor volunteered to take time off not paid due to this issue and that then extended to me...client said x is taking time off til this is fixed I think u should do the same...am not best pleased...

Comment

Mutuality of obligation - absent in a proper B2B contractor relationship, present for employees or no-rights employees.

Comment

I couldn't log on to my client yesterday but have still invoiced them for a days work.

Comment

What do you mean by thoughts? On what to do? How it affects your contract? Our opinions on the clients behaviour?

This is exactly what contracting is about. You get paid to do the work the client offers you. If they don't you don't get paid. The reason is different here but it's the same as being asked not to work for xmas breaks, bank holidays and so on.

When you say fully occupied I'd down tools completely. If they aren't willing to pay a full day then you don't do anything and wait.

You should have an idea of what the issue is and how long it might be an impact so you've got to make the call. Is this terminal or is it just a minor blip. If it's the latter then enjoy the weather and get back to work. If it looks like the project is failing or can't be rebuilt then start getting the CV up to date.

Not sure what else you are after.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So you're not concerned about throwing away a solid outside IR35 position then...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X