• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ad-hoc consultancy work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ad-hoc consultancy work

Been approached about working on an ad-hoc basis, as opposed to a fixed term (3/6/12 month) contract, by a consultancy I did some work for previously. This is direct with consultancy, so no agencies involved. The ad-hoc stuff would be specifically for one of their pub sec clients, who have deemed all contractors are ‘inside’ for tax purposes, & is non-negotiable.

Nothing stated as yet, so still embryonic & details very vague, but I’m just trying to think ahead with this query. I’m suspecting what they’ll be looking for might be akin to a call-on/ call-off basis, & I’m guessing maybe 3 months on, 2 or 3 months off, 2 or 3 months on etc. with me dipping in as per project requirements.

Only problem would be that it would prevent me from committing to any other 3, 6-month contract which I might apply for elsewhere (via agencies & such) as I know the ad-hoc work would be full on/full time.

Anyone else been in this situation & able to share anything re; major gotchas to look out for with this type of arrangement, or thoughts? If they want me at their beck & call, should I be considering a retainer of some sorts? Thanks in advance.
    Clarity is everything

don't be at their beck and call. Get some agreed lead times. 5 days minimum for a meeting. 10 days for an onsite meeting. And work scheduled based on agreed delivery timescales.

Either that or they pay you full time.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      who have deemed all contractors are ‘inside’ for tax purposes, & is non-negotiable
      Run away. "Ad-hoc" and "inside IR35" screams a difference in expectations just waiting to happen. They'll want to treat you as an on-call permie, most likely, nothing like ad-hoc work ordinarily, which involves near zero client interaction and something you do whenever you want (subject to meeting deliverable deadlines).

beck & call
      Again, not worth the headache.

If you want to do ad-hoc work on the side, make sure it's proper B2B work (e.g., via a purchase order and simple T&Cs) with clear deliverables and then fit it around your bigger clients. The last thing you want is a client that sees you as an on-call, drop-everything-and-do-this-now pseudo-permie. In that situation, the cost to your other business will be way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Run away. "Ad-hoc" and "inside IR35" screams a difference in expectations just waiting to happen. They'll want to treat you as an on-call permie, most likely, nothing like ad-hoc work ordinarily, which involves near zero client interaction and something you do whenever you want (subject to meeting deliverable deadlines).

Again, not worth the headache.

If you want to do ad-hoc work on the side, make sure it's proper B2B work (e.g., via a purchase order and simple T&Cs) with clear deliverables and then fit it around your bigger clients. The last thing you want is a client that sees you as an on-call, drop-everything-and-do-this-now pseudo-permie. In that situation, the cost to your other business will be way too high.
        What JamesBrown says

It ain't worth the hassle and given that it's inside you are going to find it hard to find an umbrella that deals with ad-hoc work unless its guaranteed to be at least 1 day a week - it's not worth the hassle for the umbrella.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Pre-Covid, I was in talks for something similar. The proposed arrangement was for ad hoc days, maybe up to a week at a time, either remote, UK or overseas.

It never came off, due to Covid and it being in the aviation sector, but we did broadly agree things like the amount of notice required based on the type of activity and its location. The company knew I would be taking time away from other contract work so they were willing to ensure that where the project needed my services, I would be informed as far in advance as possible and be able to say no if the dates didn't work.

I'd have loved to do it as it was a great opportunity.

I think it's important to understand their requirements and expectations and then offer a solution that works for both of you. It should be achievable with a bit of effort. Get everything documented.

Comment

Thanks all for these points/thoughts; really helpful, & exactly the reason I posted on here.

Re; "ad-hoc", it definitely won't be a day here, a day there, that would not be possible with the work I do (I'm not a tech, I'm more on the business improvement side).

Having worked for them before, I feel sure it'll be more structured than that (with a contract containing deliverables), all above board, & I suspect (as mentioned) it will be more like a few months on, couple off, followed by a few on, provided the end client continues to support & finance the project.

I have a good relationship with (& trust) them, & they approached me asking about my availability, so it's not that this is a new client approaching me out of the blue. I'll be working (in the main) with their end client - the pub sec org.

I think the point from LM is pertinent, insofar as ensuring I receive sufficient advance notification of any requirements.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

I did this once, but it was adhoc half days, rather than months. We agreed 6 days billing a month regardless, but for the duration of the contract (1 year), no more than 72 days. And with the exception of an international workshop (flights paid by them) for a week, it was all remote.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I did this once, but it was adhoc half days, rather than months. We agreed 6 days billing a month regardless, but for the duration of the contract (1 year), no more than 72 days. And with the exception of an international workshop (flights paid by them) for a week, it was all remote.
                Interesting, thanks NAT. I was thinking along similar lines earlier as to how any offering might develop, & thought that it might well be (for want of a better phrase) a sort of open-term contract, which would still allow for the ad-hoc nature of the work, but avoid the 'nause' of creating several short term contracts and all the associated palaver...which seems to be the gist of what you had there?
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Re; "ad-hoc", it definitely won't be a day here, a day there, that would not be possible with the work I do (I'm not a tech, I'm more on the business improvement side).

Having worked for them before, I feel sure it'll be more structured than that (with a contract containing deliverables), all above board, & I suspect (as mentioned) it will be more like a few months on, couple off, followed by a few on, provided the end client continues to support & finance the project.
                  This should be a Master Services Contract and individual SoWs (for each project) - as said above, this should be a B2B engagement, and trying to shoe-horn it into an IR35 gig is causing issues.

If it can't be made B2B, i'd just be asking them to come back to you for each project and seeing if you're available - that lets you get on with other clients, and if you're not available, then tough on them.

If they want you on available at a shorter notice, come up with a structure where you're on a annually renewing contract where, eg, half, your normal day rate is paid whether you complete timesheets or not (ie. a retainer), and you bill the rest of the day rate (or more) for the periods of time when you are doing productive work for them.

That gives you the time when you're not working for this client to work on other gigs - though that will be difficult to manage if these other clients also just see you as a disguised employee (as this one has accepted is the case).
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 2 November 2021, 16:31.

Comment

...which seems to be the gist of what you had there?
                    Yes. One contract.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X