• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyway to get SC Clearance without a role confirmation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway to get SC Clearance without a role confirmation?

How would one go about getting recognised SC Clearance as some roles tend to say 'SC Clearance Required'?

Thank you

You get a job where the client is willing to sponsor an application for clearance.

Comment

SC can only be applied for by a List X company so you have to be engaged with them to do it. There is no way to apply for it yourself.

Pretty closed shop if you don't have it I am afraid. Chances of getting a gig that will put you through are slim to none.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also not all it's cracked up to be. Don't think you are missing out on huge numbers of well paid gigs by not having it. You aren't, it's actually a relatively small market and rates really aren't any better than standard commercial gigs. If you have it great, if not don't stress over getting it, it's really not that big of a deal.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          SC can only be applied for by a List X company so you have to be engaged with them to do it. There is no way to apply for it yourself.

Pretty closed shop if you don't have it I am afraid. Chances of getting a gig that will put you through are slim to none.
          SC can also be applied for as an NPPV3 'add-on'; NPPV3 sponsors don't have to be List X....I'm one and I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

SC can also be applied for as an NPPV3 'add-on'; NPPV3 sponsors don't have to be List X....I'm one and I'm not.
            Ah interesting. I'd heard about the bolt on to NPPV before but I'd assumed the police or which internal organisation dealt with this was also List X. Interesting they aren't.

Still no good to the OP and every other bod that is looking to get SC before they get a gig but interesting point nonetheless.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ah interesting. I'd heard about the bolt on to NPPV before but I'd assumed the police or which internal organisation dealt with this was also List X. Interesting they aren't.

Still no good to the OP and every other bod that is looking to get SC before they get a gig but interesting point nonetheless.
              Not surprising. It's as I've said many times, clearance is a risk assessment process. NPPV3 is measured on different criteria to Home Office/MOD SC clearance (one is more worried about financial probity, the other about coercion) so it's a sideways move, not a upward one. And some police roles require both, especially if the role steps into national security arenas.

I've applied for (and secured!) an MOD role while holding NPPV3 in the past, and still had to go through the whole SC process.

But, also has been said many time, clearance belongs to the role, not the person filling it. So no role, no clearance.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The simple answer to any agent asking about SC is say "Yes. I've had it in the recent past, and see no reason I wouldn't be able to get it again".

As has been repeatedly pointed out, the clearance is likely to need to be re-applied for in a new role anyway. If it's a very short term contract the vetting people at the new place might just contact the vetting people at the old place and allow a person to work on that basis without applying.
                I've never known an agent ask for evidence of clearance, and in some cases the worker will not actually receive any evidence so have nothing to show anyway.
                In fact it would be simple to say "Yes I have SC" refuse to evidence it to the agent as it's not his business, and when/if you are interviewed by the client be honest.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WHoSaidthis View Post
                  How would one go about getting recognised SC Clearance as some roles tend to say 'SC Clearance Required'?

Thank you
                  it is possible to have an ad-hoc contract with a consultancy, that only wants to use you for, say, MOD stuff, for a day or two here and there. and via that route of having a very part time and occasional role keep SC long term which then helps if you need SC for another role. this is necessary or the MOD would never be able to call upon rare skills that they only need very now and again. but its also a mechanism used by some "in the know" to keep SC perpetually even when not working on stuff that needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

it is possible to have an ad-hoc contract with a consultancy, that only wants to use you for, say, MOD stuff, for a day or two here and there. and via that route of having a very part time and occasional role keep SC long term which then helps if you need SC for another role. this is necessary or the MOD would never be able to call upon rare skills that they only need very now and again. but its also a mechanism used by some "in the know" to keep SC perpetually even when not working on stuff that needs it.
                    Yeah, right. List-X companies are regularly vetted themselves, so if their staff aren't routinely working on roles needing clearance it may be lapsed anyway. And twice I've moved from private companies to HMG roles needing SC and twice I've had to be re-vetted since the ministries don't really trust List-X vets; they tend to be more generic while ministries have their own, more specific criteria.

And once again, clearance is not a personal attribute. It merely means that this person meets the requirement of this specific role at this specific time. If the role doesn't exist, then the person is no longer cleared for SC (excepting., of course, the one year grace period which is merely a convenience anyway, and will not apply if the original clearance period - 5 or 10 years usually - has expired).
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X