• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

99% fully remote roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote working will join the list of 'perks' such as table football, pizza Friday, beer fridges, relaxed dress code and all the other things employers believe they can offer in return for lowball salary offers

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
      Remote working will join the list of 'perks' such as table football, pizza Friday, beer fridges, relaxed dress code and all the other things employers believe they can offer in return for lowball salary offers
      Not really - I suspect Remote working will be the default rate and things that require a lot of unnecessary onsite work may require a higher rate.

I already last week had to explain to an agency that 3 days on site fully expensed didn't work for an inside IR35 contract - 2 days was just about doable but dodgy (anything beyond that complete breaks HMRC's travel and expenses rules and I'm personally dubious that 2 days wouldn't).

Downside is I'm starting to think I'm about the only person who has a clue how these things actually work.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've been fully remote since the start of the pandemic and as a consequence of it I've been able to pickup up two more clients. I wouldn't consider anything that is not fully remote now as it would impact the work that I do for all my clients and hit the company's bottom line. Whereas before I'd commute and stay over etc there's no way I'd be able to do that without losing £1,000's every month.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

In my 3rd 100% remote contract since lockdown...it's been great. One in Oxford, one in Copenhagen/New Jersey/Bangalore and the current one in Walsall. No matter where they are, my first 2 hours of work is done in my PJs
          Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            I've had calls for 2 jobs (both internal HR reps, not agency pimps) where they said "the salary is only £X because, you know, we are letting you work from home".

If anything they should pay more for home working because I'm using my monitors, my office chair, my electricity/internet/heating. I'll say that the next time someone tries to offer peanuts. Let's see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

I've had calls for 2 jobs (both internal HR reps, not agency pimps) where they said "the salary is only £X because, you know, we are letting you work from home".

If anything they should pay more for home working because I'm using my monitors, my office chair, my electricity/internet/heating. I'll say that the next time someone tries to offer peanuts. Let's see how it goes
              Have seen a couple of roles advertised recently by 'Haze'...as 'remote rate', which of course was lower than you might expect for those particular roles. Always looking for an angle of sorts these agents.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

I'd call their bluff and say you're willing to come into the office, "so what's the salary now?". When they say thats not an option, tell them they're not "letting you work from home" then, are they, but that's it's a stipulation.

Comment

Has anyone accepted a "1/2 days a week in the office" role recently?

Do those 1/2 days have to be the same days as everyone else?

I contracted for a big bank when they went to hybrid office/flexi-hours/hot desk for permies and contractors a few years back, and the days I was in the office, there was often no-one from my team there, rendering it entirely pointless. Team meetings were always on the phone as people were WFH or in other office locations.

Interesting times ahead I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Has anyone accepted a "1/2 days a week in the office" role recently?

Do those 1/2 days have to be the same days as everyone else?

I contracted for a big bank when they went to hybrid office/flexi-hours/hot desk for permies and contractors a few years back, and the days I was in the office, there was often no-one from my team there, rendering it entirely pointless. Team meetings were always on the phone as people were WFH or in other office locations.

Interesting times ahead I think.
                    My client has moved to a hybrid working model. They're recommended people go into the office a day or two a month, and to align those days with other members of the local team.

But because the wider team is spread over multiple locations (UK and off-shore) what is happening (for those that have done this - i've avoided it so far) is that people are in the office and on Zoom calls all day - so no different to WFH.

Comment

Well go into the office then, you get paid more and save on those expensive costs.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X