• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency offering rates they can never pay...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    At the end of the day you've been made an offer. You can accept or decline. If you have no other alternatives then you need to consider how long it will take you to get a contract at the higher rate. If you end up for one or two months more without a contract, you're probably still better off accepting the contract at the current rate.

In order to ensure you get a high rate you need multiple leads. If you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.
    correction: If the agency know you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.[
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

correction: If the agency know you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.[
      Sure you can bluff but you still have a weak hand.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

There is a difficult middle ground you need to hit where the agency knows you have other options but those options aren't enough to justify the agency to put a different candidate forward rather than you.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Elrosso View Post
          So i have been contracting for the best part of 20 years and have mainly had good experiences with agencies and thankfully only a handful of issues but, I have found out that the current agency has spun me a total yarn around rates - which I am sure won’t come as a surprise to many but this 'scam' is a new on to me (as far as I a aware!).

Essentially the agency contacted me about a role and I was submitted at the rate I wanted, was interviewed at that rate and subsequently got the role. What happened from then to me starting was apparently the client had amended their budget and the rate I was being offered was a lot lower... I wasn't chuffed and explained this to the agent but was convinced it was all down to the client and their budgets.

I have since found out that the agency never put me over at the rate I asked for and as such could never have paid me what I wanted and that no such conversations ever took place with the client around budgets... apart from telling the agency to shove it and letting the client down is there anything I can do as I also know the agency is actually still taking a sizeable 19% margin - but I am not supposed to know about that.
          Apologies if this topic has raised is head here before but I couldn't find any similar content. I would be keen to get opinions if this has happened to others and how they dealt with it... much appreciated.
          If I were to ever find myself in this position AFTER interview, I would state "That's a shame, I can't progress at that rate. I'll email/LinkedIn message Jim Interviewer and let him know it's a shame we can't move forward due to their budget issues".

Comment

When agents tried this on me, I would email the hiring manager and explain that the agency had explain the rate had been lowered due to budgetry concerns, and as a result, reluctantly, I would be unable to accept the rate, but hoped they'd still consider me for future contacts. Amazing how quickly you get your rate restored.

Seriously. 20 years? Because this is a newbie mistake. NEVER believe the agent.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              When agents tried this on me, I would email the hiring manager and explain that the agency had explain the rate had been lowered due to budgetry concerns, and as a result, reluctantly, I would be unable to accept the rate, but hoped they'd still consider me for future contacts. Amazing how quickly you get your rate restored.

Seriously. 20 years? Because this is a newbie mistake. NEVER believe the agent.
              Absolutely this. We do get the odd one of these from time to time and it's very eye opening. Either they've had a perfect ride in all those years or they've been absolutely reamed without ever knowing it. Just been carrying on in plain ignorance convinced they are the top of the game.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've never had an agent pull the scenario the OP has described, as I've always gotten the rate I've asked for.

I have subsequently found out that I could have gotten more money on several occasions but, as I was happy with what I was being paid, I didn't get the arse over it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I've never had an agent pull the scenario the OP has described, as I've always gotten the rate I've asked for.

I have subsequently found out that I could have gotten more money on several occasions but, as I was happy with what I was being paid, I didn't get the arse over it.
                  +1 - I'm sure I've got contracts as I was more profitable than other options (I was happy with the pay so it didn't matter).

The OPs story is a strange one, I still can't work out what the agent was hoping to achieve by doing what he was doing.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Same but I have come across a few situations where the agent admitted they won't be paying the rate on the jobserve ad. In every case they blamed the client dropping the rate. I actually took one of the roles as the rate offered was only a few 10's of pounds different and the reduced figure was still a good rate. No sniff of any underhandness going on. Just a case of the agent overstating the rate on jobserve which they admitted.

Interestingly enough I don't think I've had the agents pulling any of the tricks that we see on here from time to time. I'd like to believe if you can convince the agent you know what you are doing from the off they'll not pull the funnies on you. I can't help feeling that some of the people that have fallen foul of agency tricks are partly responsible for giving them the opportunity to do so. Maybe not in this case as it's rather more complicated. They are salespeople and do this day in day out so will be very good and manipulating situations. I don't believe there are many 'bad eggs' that will try pull the wool over every single contractor. Surely they won't last very long if they aren't a bit smart about it? Or have I just not come across one of these... or have I met one and they've played me like a fiddle and I didn't know?
                    Part of the fun of contracting.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had a situation where I went for a role (wasn't advertised anywhere) with an hourly rate of £xx. Got it. The agency phoned to say there had been a mix up and the client were only willing to pay the rate I'd been quoted, to the agency itself. They asked if I'd be happy with a slightly reduced rate so the agency can take a few quid per hour commission.

I was annoyed, but it sounded like a genuine mistake so I agreed to it on the understanding of ramping the rate up on renewal (which I managed to do several times). The client had lots of contractors off a preferred supplier list, but I believe I was the first from this particular agency who had never dealt with the client before.

After a few months I chatted with someone in accounts at the client to double check how much the agency were invoicing/taking commission, and it was correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X