• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anything be done accepted new contract signed it other agency is paying way more!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anything be done accepted new contract signed it other agency is paying way more!

I think I know the answer already ..... but here goes anyway:

Accepted a new contract for a previous end client.... Agency I accepted with are paying me £200 a week LESS than the same role same end client with another agency so £800 negative a month difference!

I have not started yet as onboarding is taking forever. I already asked the agency I accepted the role with if they can do anything about the £800 a month difference waiting to hear back from them but not holding my breath as I signed the contract already so did they.

Its a remote working role 6 months rolling inside IR35 so already lots of extra tax & NI to be paid!!

Presumably my options are:
    1: Man up honour my signed contract accept that's how it goes.
    2: Apply for the job with the other agency to get the extra £800 a month difference.
    3: Refuse to start walk away.
    4: Wait for the agency to agree to me getting more than the current accepted offer.

Anything obvious I am missing here £800 a month nowadays is quite a lot of money to me as living costs have risen so drastically!

Are you sure that £40 extra a day isn't marketing hype that will disappear when you speak to the agent?

But if you don't like it enjoy remaining unemployed.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Look on the positive side - it's actually only £400/month after taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Are you sure that £40 extra a day isn't marketing hype that will disappear when you speak to the agent?

But if you don't like it enjoy remaining unemployed.
        £40 a day is real but they will take months to get anyone through on the new rate the end client are precise they know exactly who they want & will not accept anyone unless they are right for the role! I presume I can honour my contract or stay on the bench then!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Look on the positive side - it's actually only £400/month after taxes.
          Yep that is probably the best way to look at it just annoying all the same

Comment

Agent will have an ownership clause with the client that prevents you now going through anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Yep that is probably the best way to look at it just annoying all the same
              If I'd gotten myself into that position, i'd probably just suck it up, but make sure i make myself invaluable to the client, and then ask for a significant increase come renewal time. If the rate I'd agreed to was significantly lower to my normal my market rate, I'd also be looking for a new gig from day 1. If one comes along, I'd be handing in my notice, and having an "up my rate or i'm off" discussion with the client/agency.
              Last edited by Paralytic; 29 June 2021, 10:48.

Comment

There's no guarantee you would actually agree a contract on the rate that the other agency is proposing. At the end of the contract I would put yourself on the market at a higher rate. If there is a lot of interest then you can play hardball.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If I'd gotten myself into that position, i'd probably just suck it up, but make sure i make myself invaluable to the client, and then, ask for a significant increase come renewal time. If the rate I'd agreed to was significantly lower to my normal my market rate, I'd also be looking for a new gig from day 1. If one comes along, I'd be handing in my notice, and having an "up my rate or i'm off" discussion with the client/agency.
                  Yes to all of what you said it has taken since Jan to now to get the offer & acceptance stages due to internal processes for the end client & agency. So I am already invaluable to them as only 2 out of 30 candidates were selected & they know exactly who they want but have trouble finding decent contractors they can trust!

I will just have to accept the lower rate for now but in 6 months time.......

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Yes to all of what you said it has taken since Jan to now to get the offer & acceptance stages due to internal processes for the end client & agency. So I am already invaluable to them as only 2 out of 30 candidates were selected & they know exactly who they want but have trouble finding decent contractors they can trust!

I will just have to accept the lower rate for now but in 6 months time.......
                    Just to reiterate you won't be able to change agency in 6 months. Your only option is to negotiate the rate - nothing stopping you doing that now. You don't have much leverage as the agency will know you can't go via another agency but you could tell the client which (depending on whether the extra really exists and if it's going to the agent) may be enough to incentivise them to reduce their commission and increase your rate

Comment

Working...
                    X