• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can anything be done accepted new contract signed it other agency is paying way more!"

Collapse

• Antman
    replied
    Oh good, glad it worked out, it also means the agent doesn't have to move the factory date on the s-line they'd ordered too!

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Happy ending they offered me a little more so I am going with that improved offer (yes I know if someone offers something so fast it means they could have more scope for even more but I am not that greedy & do not wish to rock the boat before I even started!).

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Firstly it's highly unlikely the agency is paying that rate. Many inflate the rates and it suddently drops as you near the finish line so just tell yourself you were never going to get that anyway.

Also you can't jump ship so you didn't have the chance of getting the new contract so can't be upset over something you couldn't get.

Gotta just move on and not worry about the other option which probably wasn't paying what it says and you couldn't take.
    Good point I never considered the agency might be lying about the higher rate to attract candidates! Its so easy to forget the subtle tricks they play on us............!

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's sadly a sod's law type thing and you'll just have to suck it up if you still want the job. I doubt the client has given different budgets to different agencies so that's going to be a margin difference somewhere.

EDIT: also, consider that you accepted the rate you have signed the contract for. If it wasn't enough then why did you accept it?
    Supply & demand is why I accepted!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And know when you've got leverage, and when you haven't.

You could burn that difference waiting for the new one to start.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's sadly a sod's law type thing and you'll just have to suck it up if you still want the job. I doubt the client has given different budgets to different agencies so that's going to be a margin difference somewhere.

EDIT: also, consider that you accepted the rate you have signed the contract for. If it wasn't enough then why did you accept it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Firstly it's highly unlikely the agency is paying that rate. Many inflate the rates and it suddently drops as you near the finish line so just tell yourself you were never going to get that anyway.

Also you can't jump ship so you didn't have the chance of getting the new contract so can't be upset over something you couldn't get.

Gotta just move on and not worry about the other option which probably wasn't paying what it says and you couldn't take.

Leave a comment:

• ComplianceLady
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Yes to all of what you said it has taken since Jan to now to get the offer & acceptance stages due to internal processes for the end client & agency. So I am already invaluable to them as only 2 out of 30 candidates were selected & they know exactly who they want but have trouble finding decent contractors they can trust!

I will just have to accept the lower rate for now but in 6 months time.......
    Just to reiterate you won't be able to change agency in 6 months. Your only option is to negotiate the rate - nothing stopping you doing that now. You don't have much leverage as the agency will know you can't go via another agency but you could tell the client which (depending on whether the extra really exists and if it's going to the agent) may be enough to incentivise them to reduce their commission and increase your rate

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If I'd gotten myself into that position, i'd probably just suck it up, but make sure i make myself invaluable to the client, and then, ask for a significant increase come renewal time. If the rate I'd agreed to was significantly lower to my normal my market rate, I'd also be looking for a new gig from day 1. If one comes along, I'd be handing in my notice, and having an "up my rate or i'm off" discussion with the client/agency.
    Yes to all of what you said it has taken since Jan to now to get the offer & acceptance stages due to internal processes for the end client & agency. So I am already invaluable to them as only 2 out of 30 candidates were selected & they know exactly who they want but have trouble finding decent contractors they can trust!

I will just have to accept the lower rate for now but in 6 months time.......

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    There's no guarantee you would actually agree a contract on the rate that the other agency is proposing. At the end of the contract I would put yourself on the market at a higher rate. If there is a lot of interest then you can play hardball.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Yep that is probably the best way to look at it just annoying all the same
    If I'd gotten myself into that position, i'd probably just suck it up, but make sure i make myself invaluable to the client, and then ask for a significant increase come renewal time. If the rate I'd agreed to was significantly lower to my normal my market rate, I'd also be looking for a new gig from day 1. If one comes along, I'd be handing in my notice, and having an "up my rate or i'm off" discussion with the client/agency.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 29 June 2021, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• ComplianceLady
    replied
    Agent will have an ownership clause with the client that prevents you now going through anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Look on the positive side - it's actually only £400/month after taxes.
    Yep that is probably the best way to look at it just annoying all the same

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Are you sure that £40 extra a day isn't marketing hype that will disappear when you speak to the agent?

But if you don't like it enjoy remaining unemployed.
    £40 a day is real but they will take months to get anyone through on the new rate the end client are precise they know exactly who they want & will not accept anyone unless they are right for the role! I presume I can honour my contract or stay on the bench then!

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Look on the positive side - it's actually only £400/month after taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X