• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to permieland - 1 month in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yes I'm being harsh but it's important, trust me.
    Actually I don't think you are being harsh and I appreciate what you are saying. After 30 years as a perm it will naturally take a while to shake the habit, especially as my first dip into the water was a perm role in disguise. I will continue to read and continue to learn and continue to experience for myself. So thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      This return to office stuff will only happen if you let it.

For once all workers - employees and contractors alike - have the leverage here while the status quo is on your side, i.e. working remotely.

Watch out for those who will go back in a little too voluntarily, expecting their colleagues/suppliers to follow suit. These people are not your friends.

100%. I’ve been wfh for the last 4 years and wouldn’t go back to an office whatever the rate. I always negotiate wfh and get it added to the contract, so no future return to the office will change my situation, and avoids any confusion over this. Don’t rely on what the clients or (especially) agents say.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer2021 View Post

100%. I’ve been wfh for the last 4 years and wouldn’t go back to an office whatever the rate. I always negotiate wfh and get it added to the contract, so no future return to the office will change my situation, and avoids any confusion over this. Don’t rely on what the clients or (especially) agents say.
        100% that!

Basically as the late great Ronnie Barker famously said through one of his most iconic characters.

"Don't let the b***ards grind you down!"

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

100% that!

Basically as the late great Ronnie Barker famously said through one of his most iconic characters.

"Don't let the b***ards grind you down!"
          With you on that one.

My biggest complaint is that I'm not getting the points any more. No longer top tier Marriott, IHG, BA, etc.

They've been discussing return to office and it looks like from next year I'll be doing 2-3 days on site.

...PER QUARTER.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer2021 View Post

I always negotiate wfh and get it added to the contract, so no future return to the office will change my situation, and avoids any confusion over this. Don’t rely on what the clients or (especially) agents say.
            Yes this is the way to go and will do that if I ever go back to contracting. Easier for contract roles than permie roles. Permie roles tend to have a box standard contract format with not much flexibility and pretty much everything needs to be in line with company wide policies.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

With you on that one.

My biggest complaint is that I'm not getting the points any more. No longer top tier Marriott, IHG, BA, etc.

They've been discussing return to office and it looks like from next year I'll be doing 2-3 days on site.

...PER QUARTER.
              Oh man the loyalty points.... I had just got back to United Gold when Covid hit

Comment

With you on that one.

...PER QUARTER.
                Desperately clinging to my Hilton Diamond. They've extended status for the last two years due to covid, but I'm running out of points to take cheap weekends away

Need to get some site visits on soon so I can top up the points!

Comment

With you on that one.

...PER QUARTER.
                  I never chased hotel loyalty points but I've managed to keep BA Gold though to 2023 due to status extensions (although I'm only 205 points away from legitimately re-qualifying thanks to the double tier points on holidays deal). I need to work on my points next year but have enough trips planned that it should be ok if the world doesn't shut itself down again.

Comment

To revive an old thread.

Been about a year and abit into my FTC. Still enjoying it. Challenging at times, especially with some closed minded people but manageble. Still enjoying having annual leave again. In the past year only had to go into the office 3 times. First was for a leaving do (my choice). Second was when a new engineer on the team started (meet and greet) and the third is next week when our new director starts, again just a meet and greet, completely optional but happy to go in as its a change of scenery and I think its always good to meet face to face, even if its just once.

Bit of an odd one though. I have been asked to do a PPDR (annual personal review). Ok...but..I am on an FTC..which ends next month (if I dont get it extended). Spoke to my Line Manager and HR have said even FTC need to do one. Must be a tick box thing. I was meant to do it when I started but he wasnt aware soI have to do a PPDR for the year just gone and one for the year coming.

I dont mind, but if I end up finishing up in a months time, whats the point? What do I put down?

Anyone else on an FTC had to do the same?

My LM is aware of the absurdity of me doing one so has just said put down whatever and he will sign it off. Not like I get a pay rise or anything out of it.

Comment

Maybe they want you to do one because they're planning to either renew your contract or offer you a permanent role?

Although the fact that your line manager thinks it's absurd makes me think they're not planning on extending your contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X