• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to permieland - 1 month in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

9 months of permieversary: I gave notice

Everything was going well and I was happy with my choice. My team and colleagues were great, work was not so bad, I was working remotely so my work-life balance was good.

Then one Monday I come back from a week away and found an email from the Head of my Department announcing how management had decided to bring people back in the office for at least 3 days a week. Absolute nonsense. Time to say goodbye.

I updated my CV and started applying for jobs the week after. Starting a new role in a few weeks.
    You are jacking your job in just because the world is turning back to normal? You had to expect this was going to happen surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are jacking your job in just because the world is turning back to normal? You had to expect this was going to happen surely?
      TBF I'd do the same. The world has changed.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Changed does not mean you are entitled to 100% WFH though. Seems a bit extreme to give up your job just for this as it's likely to happen again and again. And it's also still changing, you can't take 18 months in constant lockdowns in a pandemic as the new way. We will come out of the pandemic and re-asses and yes there is no way we will go back to 100% in the office but it won't be the same as in lockdown either. It's going to change again as we get back to normal.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 November 2021, 12:44.

Comment

9 months of permieversary: I gave notice

Everything was going well and I was happy with my choice. My team and colleagues were great, work was not so bad, I was working remotely so my work-life balance was good.

Then one Monday I come back from a week away and found an email from the Head of my Department announcing how management had decided to bring people back in the office for at least 3 days a week. Absolute nonsense. Time to say goodbye.

I updated my CV and started applying for jobs the week after. Starting a new role in a few weeks.
          You did the right thing. Every Tom, Dick and Harry are trying hard to bring back their beaurocracy and micro management. I would have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

It hasn't though really. Most companies, large or small, are itching to get people back into offices. It is part of the psyche of management to like to see bums on seats. If it wasn't for this new Botswana covid variant, I was fully expecting most companies to demand staff, permanent or contract, to return to offices perhaps even full time from January.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

It hasn't though really. Most companies, large or small, are itching to get people back into offices. It is part of the psyche of management to like to see bums on seats. If it wasn't for this new Botswana covid variant, I was fully expecting most companies to demand staff, permanent or contract, to return to offices perhaps even full time from January.
              I'd disagree there, the companies are not itching to get everyone back full time the government is, to falsely support the economy claiming towns and cities need the revenue. Well the revenue is still there is just moved out of town and to local.

Every contract I have been offered in the last 6 months has been 100% remote it's their opening gambit. The words 'when things go back to normal' have largely vanished

Most companies will be happy to offload and reduce the cost of ridiculous office space they have.

The world has changed and it will never go back to the way it was.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

I'd disagree there, the companies are not itching to get everyone back full time the government is, to falsely support the economy claiming towns and cities need the revenue. Well the revenue is still there is just moved out of town and to local.
                You are right they aren't, but it's not that black and white. They is definitely going to be a big shift back to the office in some form or other but not all companies and not 100% in office. The new world is going to have a mix. People have got too used to be 100% at home and it's the situation now, not the future. It will never be 100% WFH as standard. You'd be daft to believe that. We might push that hard on here as we are contractors so completely different mindset but there are many roles that need to be back in and people that need to be around others as well. Saying I'm not working on anything 100% so the world should be like me isn't providing much of an argument. Tends to be the way on here.
                Every contract I have been offered in the last 6 months has been 100% remote it's their opening gambit. The words 'when things go back to normal' have largely vanished
                And? We are still in various lockdowns and still have covid issues. The situation is still largely been driven by that. Once that's gone then we can see what happens. It's quite possible many contract roles will stay remote, it's the way we engage, but that isn't a reflection of what companies will do as a catchall for all their staff.
                Most companies will be happy to offload and reduce the cost of ridiculous office space they have.
                But they also have to look after staff and other things so again there will be a balance and it will change depending on the company and what they do.

The world has changed and it will never go back to the way it was.
                Yes but again, it has but we are in flux, it's changed due to a pandemic, not to new norms... yet. It has changed and it must change again once the factors causing that particular change has gone. That's the beauty of change, it's always happening. To stick your feet in and say I'm never working for anyone that isn't 100% remote isn't embracing change, it's just picking something you personally want and have been blessed with due to a pandemic.

Comment

Perm again?

And I presume from your reason for leaving, 100% remote?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are right they aren't, but it's not that black and white. They is definitely going to be a big shift back to the office in some form or other but not all companies and not 100% in office. The new world is going to have a mix. People have got too used to be 100% at home and it's the situation now, not the future. It will never be 100% WFH as standard. You'd be daft to believe that. We might push that hard on here as we are contractors so completely different mindset but there are many roles that need to be back in and people that need to be around others as well. Saying I'm not working on anything 100% so the world should be like me isn't providing much of an argument. Tends to be the way on here.

And? We are still in various lockdowns and still have covid issues. The situation is still largely been driven by that. Once that's gone then we can see what happens. It's quite possible many contract roles will stay remote, it's the way we engage, but that isn't a reflection of what companies will do as a catchall for all their staff.

But they also have to look after staff and other things so again there will be a balance and it will change depending on the company and what they do.

Yes but again, it has but we are in flux, it's changed due to a pandemic, not to new norms... yet. It has changed and it must change again once the factors causing that particular change has gone. That's the beauty of change, it's always happening. To stick your feet in and say I'm never working for anyone that isn't 100% remote isn't embracing change, it's just picking something you personally want and have been blessed with due to a pandemic.
                    All fair points, I think maybe we are all seeing it and hearing it differently at the moment. For what it's worth I have been on a WFH is the norm and in the office is the exception for a long time long before covid.

I don't blame the OP though for demanding what they want and if they don't get it then leaving. The timing is perfect for such stances.

I just can't see the ones who are now working from home ever going back full time and there will be plenty of companies who will offer the mix model.

Do we really think Covid will ever be 'over'?

What I meant regarding the vernacular was I used to hear you are remote until... now I just don't hear the until

Comment

Pre-covid I was taking a bus and two trains four days a week to an office where AC did not work correctly so from April to November the heat/humidity was intolerable. You would just sweat at a desk. (I could do that at home. With a beer. )

That I will never miss.

My last gig they said "this is 100% remote, you okay with that?"

"Err...yeah!"

I think for parents there is always going to be that need for a mix of office/home balance, just depends on how you negotiate it.
                      For people without kids, the graduates, they may benefit for more office less home balance as they leave work and go straight to the gym, pub, etc.

Christ, remember those days of leaving office to go straight on the lash!

qh
                      Last edited by quackhandle; 26 November 2021, 16:47.
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X