• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company email address?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company email address?

Just had the fortune of bagging a new project (was about to throw in the towel) however due to the post april IR35 changes apparently they can't assign me a company email address therefore all work related jazz is smashing my personal email address.

OTT or the new norm? I'm not a massive MS fan but Outlook was efficient (far more so than Gmail, ugh)

Don't you have your own company email address?

Comment

You can persuade Outlook to use GMail as it IMAP source. Takes a bit of fiddling but I've been using it for years. Google is your friend...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
        Just had the fortune of bagging a new project (was about to throw in the towel) however due to the post april IR35 changes apparently they can't assign me a company email address therefore all work related jazz is smashing my personal email address.

OTT or the new norm? I'm not a massive MS fan but Outlook was efficient (far more so than Gmail, ugh)
        You want to be treated as an independent supplier to be outside IR35 then you gotta act like one. How many times have you ever mailed an external supplier on his personal address? Talk about putting yourself inside.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

your what?
          How do you email your accountant?
          Do you run a business?

Do yourself a favour and get a proper business email account. Office 365 is a good start, as that means you'll get the productivity tools, Teams etc., that you'll likely need now you have to provide your own tools.
          You can get O365 via MSDN, or the Action Pack.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The name of my company was in some part determined by what .com domain address was available. I also have the .co.uk variant too.

I do know people who have contracted for years off a Hotmail or Yahoo email address but I never understood why, for the sake of a legitimate expenditure of a few quid a year, they never paid for their own domain name.

You can go the O365 route - I have had the Action Pack subscription for years because I felt it was important to stay current with the software my clients would be using. Or you can go Google suite route. Both are easy to configure with a custom domain.

Expecting the client to set you up with their email and then complaining about having to use your personal email is a bit lame. Do you also expect them to send you pens and notebooks?

Comment

Not having a client e-mail is a little odd on a traditional contract - getting given client accounts is common even in corporate consultancy. I certainly don't see how using one is an IR35 indicator, but if that's what they need to class you as outside then take it.

You should have your own corporate mail anyway. My work has always been a mixture of both and I just use whatever suits each project. Some are entirely my own, some are a mixture, others like the place I am now would see me marched off site if I used my own for anything.
              Last edited by vwdan; 6 April 2021, 08:58.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Not having a client e-mail is a little odd on a traditional contract - getting given client accounts is common even in corporate consultancy. I certainly don't see how using one is an IR35 indicator, but if that's what they need to class you as outside then take it.

You should have your own corporate mail anyway. My work has always been a mixture of both and I just use whatever suits each project. Some are entirely my own, some are a mixture, others like the place I am now would see me marched off site if I used my own for anything.
                It will be based on the weak pointer of using your own tools.
                Client decides the contractor cannot have a laptop. Security policy says cannot use corporate email account on personal PC.

I have a contract like that, but it does have a problem now as I need to access their secure designs, but for that I need their device. So I need to go to site to get one for just one document.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The name of my company was in some part determined by what .com domain address was available. I also have the .co.uk variant too.

I do know people who have contracted for years off a Hotmail or Yahoo email address but I never understood why, for the sake of a legitimate expenditure of a few quid a year, they never paid for their own domain name.

You can go the O365 route - I have had the Action Pack subscription for years because I felt it was important to stay current with the software my clients would be using. Or you can go Google suite route. Both are easy to configure with a custom domain.

Expecting the client to set you up with their email and then complaining about having to use your personal email is a bit lame. Do you also expect them to send you pens and notebooks?
                  Is the chap not talking about being assigned an email address with his client's suffix? Not his own LtdCo email address, which he may or may not have?

Either way, if he's not assigned a client based email address, that would likely help his Outside status and thus all email goes to his personal/LtdCo address. Which, in my experience, has not Been a norm, but might be a new norm?

Comment

over my many years in the contracting trade I came across some contractors with truly awful email addresses ****[email protected] and dirty*****@yahoo are 2 that instantly spring to mind.
                    We are all and I mean the entire effing industry supposed to be professionals. Using free mail for commercial purposes let alone examples like the 2 above in my opinion lets our collective side down
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X