• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH is going to be interesting when this all calms down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFH is going to be interesting when this all calms down

See loads of contracts advertised as work remotely back back in the office in the future. Of course, no-one knows whats going to happen....

Its a no win situation for clients. Get a contractor on-board for 6 months, turns out ok, want to extend but now everyone is back in the office. Contractor lives 200 miles away and really doesn't want to travel. WFH has been working fine for 6 months so no issues there - surely contractor has all the power here and is likely to say "nope wfh or I wont bother"?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    See loads of contracts advertised as work remotely back back in the office in the future. Of course, no-one knows whats going to happen....

Its a no win situation for clients. Get a contractor on-board for 6 months, turns out ok, want to extend but now everyone is back in the office. Contractor lives 200 miles away and really doesn't want to travel. WFH has been working fine for 6 months so no issues there - surely contractor has all the power here and is likely to say "nope wfh or I wont bother"?
    why is that a nowin?

Clients get the best talent for the money regardless of location.
    Mangers stop being tits.

Unless you're a pemietractor.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      why is that a nowin?

Clients get the best talent for the money regardless of location.
      Mangers stop being tits.

Unless you're a pemietractor.
      Apart from the clients out there who, for some reason, will still insist on attendance in the office....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

surely contractor has all the power here and is likely to say "nope wfh or I wont bother"?
        This is where your caravan pays dividends. You're the snail of IT contracting.

Comment

Apart from the morons out there who, for some reason, will still insist on attendance in the office....
          FTFY

It's never going back to what it was.
          Office space is expensive.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            FTFY

It's never going back to what it was.
            Office space is expensive.
            ...and productivity is up, at least in our company. The motivation for the company to get everyone back in the office is low.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              ...and productivity is up, at least in our company. The motivation for the company to get everyone back in the office is low.
              Meanwhile at Barclays

Barclays boss Jes Staley: working from home 'not sustainable' as collaboration and culture take a hit

Working from home has been surprisingly successful for global banks during the first year of the coronavirus pandemic but is losing its effectiveness, two prominent industry executives said on Tuesday at a virtual meeting of the World Economic Forum.

“It’s remarkable it’s working as well as it is, but I don’t think it’s sustainable,” said Barclays Chief Executive Jes Staley.

JP Morgan Chase’s head of asset and wealth management Mary Erdoes said: “It is fraying. It is hard.”

For employees to focus, Erodes said: “It takes a lot of inner strength and sustainability (without) the energy that you get from being around other people.”

Staley said: “It will increasingly be a challenge to maintain the culture and collaboration that these large financial institutions seek to have and should have.”

He predicted that more people would come back to offices to work, but with flexibility to work from home.
              So in short.. you've had your fun playing at home, but now its time to get back into the hamster wheel

Comment

Only no win if you are clueless moron. There are a ton of options open to both parties so just negotiate it out. It's hardly 'no-win'.

There are so many points to discuss here but I really can't be bothered educating you on them.

The contractors saying WFH or I won't bother is hardly power. It's a choice which leads to a negotiation. In some cases it's going to be slightly inconvenient but hardly no win.

If you want to take a super simplistic view with out putting any thought in to it whatsoever then you might have a point. Beyond that your post falls apart at the seams.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 1 February 2021, 14:02.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Only no win if you are clueless moron. There are a ton of options open to both parties so just negotiate it out. It's hardly 'no-win'.

There are so many points to discuss here but I really can't be bothered educating you on them.

The contractors saying WFH or I won't bother is hardly power. It's a choice which leads to a negotiation.
                  In some cases it's going to be slightly inconvenient but hardly no win.

If you want to take a super simplistic view with out putting any thought in to it whatsoever then you might have a point. Beyond that your post falls apart at the seems.
                  it only appears that way?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    it only appears that way?
                    Stop editing your quotes to make me look like an idiot!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X