• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH is going to be interesting when this all calms down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    thing is. This recent enforced WFH has forced a lot of security minded people to re-assess what they once thought.

Intune, MDM, App Protection, information protection, DLP, CAS, and other modern technologies are being seriously considered now. Apart from the face to face aspect of office work, there is almost no reason for office workers to be in an office any more. And that is in almost all cases what we do.
    Us security minded people have been comfortable with remote working for ages. It's management that have the problem.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Us security minded people have been comfortable with remote working for ages. It's management that have the problem.
      They pay the bills so its going to be a BIG problem sooner or later...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Interesting. I have long suspected management use it as a stick to stop people WFH.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          FTFY

It's never going back to what it was.
          Office space is expensive.
          this ^^

Got a friend who for years has been WFH. Company meets 3 days every month in a hotel. Way cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            ...and productivity is up, at least in our company. The motivation for the company to get everyone back in the office is low.
            I agree. Working for a client whos got offices in prime city location they were itching to rent out even more of it BEFORE all this happened.
            During the whole thing they've been well OTT and I see no desire to go back.

And of course, this has forced the issue, and proved that WFH can work and people wont skive all day long (apart from me).

BUT I still think there are going to be some who are stubborn....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I currently work at an insurance client, and they are actively seeking to close down offices, and asking the permies their opinions on preferences of number of times they need to be in office. They were staunch work in the office 100% before covid!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I agree. Working for a client whos got offices in prime city location they were itching to rent out even more of it BEFORE all this happened.
                During the whole thing they've been well OTT and I see no desire to go back.

And of course, this has forced the issue, and proved that WFH can work and people wont skive all day long (apart from me).

BUT I still think there are going to be some who are stubborn....
                There are also people that live in crowded houses with no set office, people in abusive relationships and people who need the social side of the office as well. Not everyone wants to be permanently based from home. Client has to consider these people.

I'm also not 100% bought in to this thing about people being just as effective WFH. There are some stuff that needs interaction to be more efficient. Just because you can do it on teams doesn't mean it's better. You can get used to it and think it is but it's just not. I'm guessing that even if I am right the march of technology will trample that and the new way will be the remote/tech way.

Hopefully the outcome will be a happy balance that suits everyone. It's only you that can't see past the end of their nose and sees everything as a blanket negative.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 2 February 2021, 10:38.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm also not 100% bought in to this thing about people being just as effective WFH. There are some stuff that needs interaction to be more efficient. Just because you can do it on teams doesn't mean it's better. You can get used to it and think it is but it's just not. I'm guessing that even if I am right the march of technology will trample that and the new way will be the remote/tech way.

Hopefully the outcome will be a happy balance that suits everyone. It's only you that can't see past the end of their nose and sees everything as a blanket negative.
                  Right. IME, working relationships are generally much better when you've met the individuals in meat space - even meeting them once helps a little. When you're working with people that you've never met, there isn't the same benefit of the doubt that leads to smooth communication. I do all my work 100% WFH and have done for the last decade, but I still like to meet people upfront and during the contract, whenever possible (obviously impossible right now).

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Interesting. I have long suspected management use it as a stick to stop people WFH.
                    You do seem to have a lot of hate for managers. It's an huge are covering a multitude of levels. Just to hate 'management' doesn't serve you very well. Remember managers are also people and usually want to work at home as much as the next person. This type of thinking is clouding your judgement. Maybe senior or business managers or something but all managers? No.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

how many companies have whole spare offices for their DR plans?
                      Those are all gone at next renewal as well.

I've been providing home working solutions for decades. And one of the key drivers to get a reluctant company interested is their BCDR plan. COVID has just magnified what I've been doing for most of working life.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X