• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH is going to be interesting when this all calms down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

WFH will never continue at this scale and IMO we are going to see a wide range of attitudes by companies but any contractor thinking they can dictate only WFH is deluded.
    I've been deluded for over 12 years now

Comment

It also gets overlooked that most people on here are fairly experienced and the nature of contracting is you need little guidance. However we got to that stage by asking 1,000 questions over several years.

You can almost guarantee that if permanent people get pulled back into the office then we will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Basically, it will be a fight between the bean-counters who have identified (and have some proof) of a new way to save money, and managers, some/many of whom don't trust their staff and contractors to wfh.

In that scenario the bean-counters will make sure the crap managers are removed.

Win Win...
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          It remains to be seen and it will vary from sector to sector. I imagine a lot of data security risks have been overlooked that probably won't be forever.
          thing is. This recent enforced WFH has forced a lot of security minded people to re-assess what they once thought.

Intune, MDM, App Protection, information protection, DLP, CAS, and other modern technologies are being seriously considered now. Apart from the face to face aspect of office work, there is almost no reason for office workers to be in an office any more. And that is in almost all cases what we do.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            thing is. This recent enforced WFH has forced a lot of security minded people to re-assess what they once thought.

Intune, MDM, App Protection, information protection, DLP, CAS, and other modern technologies are being seriously considered now. Apart from the face to face aspect of office work, there is almost no reason for office workers to be in an office any more. And that is in almost all cases what we do.
            My work has sent us a survey gathering opinions of the 'future of work'.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You missed the memo.

Since the 00s companies have been saving money on office space by making people WFH including 99% of the time.
              So did you! I am talking about the trading & investment finance industries more than anything! They prefer people on seats in offices 80% of the time!!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                It remains to be seen and it will vary from sector to sector. I imagine a lot of data security risks have been overlooked that probably won't be forever.
                Compliance especially...….!!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  I've been deluded for over 12 years now
                  Most likely, yes, but we're not talking about that

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Most likely, yes, but we're not talking about that
                    i respectfully refer you to the original quote

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      We seem to be forgetting a few points such as in some, if not many cases, communicating in the office is far better than remote, whatever people say. There are people that would love to get back in to the office for many reasons as well. I'm one of them. Can't wait to get back in to business casual and get in, if nothing else just to interact with human beings again.
                      I started my last contract a year ago in London. Left the UK in March 2020, when there were approximately 40 COVID cases in London, and continued to work remotely since then. All my client-side relationships were essentially formed in those 3 months. Without that IRL contact, I expect my work relationships would have been much more sterile and transactional. And looking at this through a self-interested contractor lens, anything that makes you an interchangeable generic resource is bad for business.
                      ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
                      X