• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WFH is going to be interesting when this all calms down"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by measterbrook View Post
    The "it depends" is the key.
    Some face to face is very beneficial, but does not have to be very often. Back in the 1980s I worked on a joint UK-US team. Anyone joining the team spent 2 weeks in the other office to get to know the people there, after which remote working, which at that time was mostly telephone calls and email, was very successful. Many of the team made an atlantic trip about once a year. This experience indicates to me that initial and then infrequent face to face is required for WFH, otherwise it all comes down to "it depends" on home environment (family, space), the type of work, the company culture, etc. Personally (software development) I don't miss the disturbance of office life at all - I am so much more productive where I can "schedule" interruptions!
    Some kind of split office/wfh makes the most sense for me personally, probably leaning more on the WFH side (I'm a dev too).

A previous client went heavy flexible working 4 years ago, 60% office time for permies and contractors, hot desking, selling off buildings they owned, compressed hours etc. Suited me, but it soon became apparent that it was only luck whether there would be any more than a couple of immediate colleagues in the office the days I went in, pretty much defeating the point of going in at all. And then for large or team-wide meetings, it would always be on the phone as there would be folk at home. Meeting rooms were at a premium, and had to be booked in advance, so most large meetings ended up just being at your desk dialled in.

Leave a comment:

• measterbrook
    replied
    "It Depends"

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    The answer should be "it depends".

WFH has many benefits. More time at home/less commuting/cost. It can open up job opportunities/potential employees than if the job required you to be "in office". It can also reduce sick days for a company.

But not everyone wants to WFH full time.

Some people like being in the office and being able to build relationships in person.
    Some people living by themselves will find WFH lonely, or plain boring.
    A couple living together in a 1 bed flat might not have enough room for both to work comfortably at home.
    For younger people starting their career, they may find it a lot easier to get help/mentorship in person.

Younger folk are more and more used to the internet and virtual communication though, so some of these things will become less important
    The "it depends" is the key.
    Some face to face is very beneficial, but does not have to be very often. Back in the 1980s I worked on a joint UK-US team. Anyone joining the team spent 2 weeks in the other office to get to know the people there, after which remote working, which at that time was mostly telephone calls and email, was very successful. Many of the team made an atlantic trip about once a year. This experience indicates to me that initial and then infrequent face to face is required for WFH, otherwise it all comes down to "it depends" on home environment (family, space), the type of work, the company culture, etc. Personally (software development) I don't miss the disturbance of office life at all - I am so much more productive where I can "schedule" interruptions!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Hes chilled out. I got a PM from him telling me how much he respects me....
    Call admin. Lock his account. He's been hacked....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are you feeling okay? Where is the NLUK we know and love?

You are on ignore anyway...
    Hes chilled out. I got a PM from him telling me how much he respects me....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No need for the hate. I think I made a perfectly valid point that just blaming 'the management' really doesn't help any discussion going forward. Might be in my rather unique posting style I admit but I don't think there is any need to get so upset by it. I'll delete it if you wish.
    Are you feeling okay? Where is the NLUK we know and love?

You are on ignore anyway...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    He just became the first person on my ignore list.
    Then I will quote all of his posts just for you!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You really are tedious to the point of self parody, aren't you?
    No need for the hate. I think I made a perfectly valid point that just blaming 'the management' really doesn't help any discussion going forward. Might be in my rather unique posting style I admit but I don't think there is any need to get so upset by it. I'll delete it if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Only no win if you are clueless moron. There are a ton of options open to both parties so just negotiate it out. It's hardly 'no-win'.

There are so many points to discuss here but I really can't be bothered educating you on them.

The contractors saying WFH or I won't bother is hardly power. It's a choice which leads to a negotiation. In some cases it's going to be slightly inconvenient but hardly no win.

If you want to take a super simplistic view with out putting any thought in to it whatsoever then you might have a point. Beyond that your post falls apart at the seams.
    I see being at home has chilled you out a bit

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Any other poster would have been banned by now. Its just his continual sucking up to the mods(especially cojak) that gets him through....
    He just became the first person on my ignore list.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Any other poster would have been banned by now. Its just his continual sucking up to the mods(especially cojak) that gets him through....

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    That's a good point actually... let me consider it... no. TY

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ever considered actually not having an opinion on something as opposed to being all 'look at me aren't I al northern and outspoken' at any given opportunity?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    The answer should be "it depends".

WFH has many benefits. More time at home/less commuting/cost. It can open up job opportunities/potential employees than if the job required you to be "in office". It can also reduce sick days for a company.

But not everyone wants to WFH full time.

Some people like being in the office and being able to build relationships in person.
    Some people living by themselves will find WFH lonely, or plain boring.
    A couple living together in a 1 bed flat might not have enough room for both to work comfortably at home.
    For younger people starting their career, they may find it a lot easier to get help/mentorship in person.

Younger folk are more and more used to the internet and virtual communication though, so some of these things will become less important
    Last edited by jmo21; 2 February 2021, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    You do seem to have a lot of hate for managers. It's an huge are covering a multitude of levels. Just to hate 'management' doesn't serve you very well. Remember managers are also people and usually want to work at home as much as the next person. This type of thinking is clouding your judgement. Maybe senior or business managers or something but all managers? No.
    Ever considered actually not having an opinion on something as opposed to being all 'look at me aren't I al northern and outspoken' at any given opportunity?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X