• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in London

Been offered a gig (waiting on contract so doing some research) in London doing Dev Ops work but looking for some recommendations for somewhere to stay (hotel, serviced apartments, AirBnB etc) and stuff to do in the evening in London, I will travelling down on Sunday evening to returning North on Friday evening.

The client's office is around the Euston area.

Thanks

I recommend looking for a hotel, serviced apartment or an AirBnB place nearby. HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
      Been offered a gig (waiting on contract so doing some research) in London doing Dev Ops work but looking for some recommendations for somewhere to stay (hotel, serviced apartments, AirBnB etc) and stuff to do in the evening in London, I will travelling down on Sunday evening to returning North on Friday evening.

Thanks
      It depends on how long the contract is and what your rate is. I spent 5 years there and rented flats. Much cheaper than the £400 plus train fares plus food etc that you'd shell out each week. That's for a tulipty Travelogde as well. Plus, travelling back each week will cost a min of £110 each week cattle class and more once you decide to switch to First. London certainly isn't cheap for rentals unless you want a fair commute each way.

Comment

Thanks
        Have a HMO in Slough which has a train to Paddington if that suits. Total journey time around 45 minutes and a heck of a lot cheaper than renting closer to London.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Have a HMO in Slough which has a train to Paddington if that suits. Total journey time around 45 minutes and a heck of a lot more tulip than renting closer to London.

FTFY
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Depends on how secure your gig is as to whether you have the appetite to take a flat on or not. Air bnb could be a better compromise.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I recommend looking for a hotel, serviced apartment or an AirBnB place nearby. HTH
              Or look for lodgings* where you share with one/two people and have your own bathroom, or the one person you share with isn't in when you are.

In regards to what to do, what do you like doing? Virtually all sports clubs and gyms are on Google. Other interest groups e.g. theatre, technology, can be found on Meetup.

*Lodgings means you live with landlord/lady. Some people rent out studios, top of houses, granny flats. Contract is easier to get out of for both parties than an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

stuff to do in the evening in London
                Not a great deal, it's a pretty quiet place. Bring a book with you, and you should be ok.

Comment

If it is a 6 month contract then look towards getting a rental. You can get a flat share but be warned, the Mon-Fri flat shares aren't that great. I prefer to have somewhere to keep my work stuff.

Try to position your location near to a station for you to get out of London more easily. When I was in Canary Wharf, I lived in Poplar. The advantage being... 15 minutes walk to work, 20 minutes on the DLR to City airport and 6 minutes to Stratford with my gym situated in Canary Wharf.

Convenience is the key to happiness.

Comment

Thanks for the mostly sensible replies so far...

Just some info on the contract - 12 month contract with 1 week notice period from either side....not that a notice period counts for anything as a contractor anyway.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X