• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Have a HMO in Slough which has a train to Paddington if that suits. Total journey time around 45 minutes and a heck of a lot cheaper than renting closer to London.
    Thanks for the offer but I think I would rather "my own place" rather than sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
      Been offered a gig (waiting on contract so doing some research) in London doing Dev Ops work but looking for some recommendations for somewhere to stay (hotel, serviced apartments, AirBnB etc) and stuff to do in the evening in London, I will travelling down on Sunday evening to returning North on Friday evening.

The client's office is around the Euston area.

Thanks
      Basically you have a choice of travel.

If you are up for it. You can join the commuter race on the London Underground. You have the Northern Line going through Euston and also the Victoria Line going North and South.

Here are some areas that I would consider for flat shares (or separate flats):

1) North: very trendy Camden Town:
      2) Further North: Belsize Park
      3) South: a flat in share in Brixton, Vauxhall
      4) Further south: pucker Clapham North, Clapham Common, Clapham South

I don't know your demographic, assuming SWM, these are relatively safe areas in London.
      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 29 November 2016, 16:07. Reason: grammar

Comment

I always find anything decent on Airbnb is either booked up or big blocks are, meaning farting around for alternatives.

I'd imagine what you want won't be cheap, here in Copers even long term Airbnb is 180 plus a night, and remember to get the discount/block bookings you'll need 7 days a week

Comment

Good deals on student halls some part of the year, I know LondonManc, on here, uses them, as do a few others.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I would suggest spending 5k on a mobile home. Park it on the outskirts of London and keep moving around. Then at the end of the gig you can sell it. If you stick to decent areas you'll be alright. Always take your valuables with you to the office and shower at the gym on the way. Use a dry cleaner for clothes (or bring enough for the week).

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
              Thanks for the offer but I think I would rather "my own place" rather than sharing...
              You obviously not looked at the costs of a room in London let alone a studio flat.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                I would suggest spending 5k on a mobile home. Park it on the outskirts of London and keep moving around. Then at the end of the gig you can sell it. If you stick to decent areas you'll be alright. Always take your valuables with you to the office and shower at the gym on the way. Use a dry cleaner for clothes (or bring enough for the week).
                And actually I would recommend Essex as a place to park it. There is some very nice countryside around there not far from Upminster underground (maybe a 10 minute bike ride). If you get any hassle bung the farmer a few quid. During austerity these things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  And actually I would recommend Essex as a place to park it. There is some very nice countryside around there not far from Upminster underground (maybe a 10 minute bike ride). If you get any hassle bung the farmer a few quid. During austerity these things happen.
                  Bit far from Euston.

If he was around Liverpool Street or similar Essex would make sense.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This place is cheap, only costs the time taken to wank off a few tramps...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Bit far from Euston.

If he was around Liverpool Street or similar Essex would make sense.
                      District line from Upminster to monument, northern line to Euston - take about an hour but its cheap and actually quite pleasant a lot of the ride.

But yeah, I'm sure there's spots in north London for same plan. Maybe around Hendon. In Colindale there are lots of industrial zones where you could park up for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X