• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    The agreed rate is above that.

Has anybody had any experience with AirBnB?
    Use trivago for a rew weeks to try different areas out. MMM and I can meet you for a pint one even if you're really desperate hehe.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      Basically you have a choice of travel.

If you are up for it. You can join the commuter race on the London Underground. You have the Northern Line going through Euston and also the Victoria Line going North and South.

Here are some areas that I would consider for flat shares (or separate flats):

3) South: a flat in share in Brixton, Vauxhall
      4) Further south: pucker Clapham North, Clapham Common, Clapham South

I don't know your demographic, assuming SWM, these are relatively safe areas in London.
      Forget South London, your commute will be a nightmare, if it will happen at all. Trains cancelled, delayed, staff not turning up or on strike all the freaking time. I'd rent a flat. Once you set foot in London, you will want to stay here, so might just as well rent.
      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
        I would suggest spending 5k on a mobile home. Park it on the outskirts of London and keep moving around. Then at the end of the gig you can sell it. If you stick to decent areas you'll be alright. Always take your valuables with you to the office and shower at the gym on the way. Use a dry cleaner for clothes (or bring enough for the week).
        Oh come on, it's London! He should be living on a boat in Limehouse...
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
          Forget South London, your commute will be a nightmare, if it will happen at all. Trains cancelled, delayed, staff not turning up or on strike all the freaking time. I'd rent a flat. Once you set foot in London, you will want to stay here, so might just as well rent.
          I guess you don't know South London then, anywhere where the over ground stops is great. The over ground is very reliable.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I guess you don't know South London then, anywhere where the over ground stops is great. The over ground is very reliable.
            He's thinking of South Eastern, Thameslink and Southern.

The Victoria line is reliable as long as no one jumps but that happens with all tube and train lines.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              He's thinking of South Eastern, Thameslink and Southern.

The Victoria line is reliable as long as no one jumps but that happens with all tube and train lines.
              I realised that Sue, however where I am, I jump on the train at 7:27 and I'm in Canary Wharf b4 8. Been doing it for 4 years, very few issues
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                I realised that Sue, however where I am, I jump on the train at 7:27 and I'm in Canary Wharf b4 8. Been doing it for 4 years, very few issues
                Luckily you.

I use to work with people who use to live in NW London and used the Overground and there were frequent signal failures. In fact nearly every time I use it to go to and from NW London there is an issue.

Also Canary Wharf isn't Euston. It depends where you live which main stations are near you and quick to get to.

The OP should stay in B&Bs, use AirBNB and even hotels to find out where he likes living and can cope commuting from.

He may actually decide he wants to commute by bike.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 1 December 2016, 08:36.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You're all painting a picture of something that absolutely doesn't sound worth it if you're not already reasonably local. I'd assumed there'd be some kind of setup for people in trades/contracts to room up for the week. Apart from the daily cost, you can get into Euston from Preston in just over a couple of hours. Anyone regularly done something like that instead?

Comment

Preston to Euston every day sounds like a nightmare journey on a daily basis. Can't see the logic behind that, unless you like trains, a lot (unhealthily so &#129299?
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      Preston to Euston every day sounds like a nightmare journey on a daily basis. Can't see the logic behind that, unless you like trains, a lot (unhealthily so &#129299?
                      It probably wouldn't be much of a laugh, granted, but when you start considering renting an hour outside of London anyway, then the amount of fuss and money starts to tilt that over to approx the same overall.

Comment

Working...
                      X