• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working in London

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in London"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Alas, they worked in Shepherd's Bush so it's not a straightforward commute in the first place. And yes, Southern/Thames Link have had their part in them being late. They did make up for it by staying longer, so I don't think their integrity was an issue there. Being locked up at Victoria for 'crowd management' didn't help either.
    ???

Brixton to Shepherds Bush is 25 minutes. Change to Central Line at Oxford Circus and you don't get crowd managed at Victoria.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    I managed to find somewhere in the end via AirBnB for next week but need to sort something for the following week.
    Trivago. Put Euston in and focus on distance.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    I managed to find somewhere in the end via AirBnB for next week but need to sort something for the following week.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    East Croydon to London Bridge* takes on average 20 minutes (one stop Clapham Junction) then you'd walk over the bridge in order to get to office in the City investment banking square mile

East Croydon to Victoria* takes about the same time (usually one stop at Norwood Junction? / Crystal Palace?) and then you'd hop on the Victoria line (underground) for maybe 15-25 minutes to get to Euston or any the savvy media / advertising Client Cos operating around Oxford Street, West End areas

(*)It might totally be ****ed up now given the recently reported problems of strikes and massive delays on Southern / Thames Link train services.

Obviously, those people who could make the daily sit-down at 10:30 are morons and/or party animals.
    Alas, they worked in Shepherd's Bush so it's not a straightforward commute in the first place. And yes, Southern/Thames Link have had their part in them being late. They did make up for it by staying longer, so I don't think their integrity was an issue there. Being locked up at Victoria for 'crowd management' didn't help either.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    It's hit and miss. I'm not a fan if I'm honest as it's too much hassle - it's like they want to interview you at times.

You can get some decent deals renting a room from another professional. I have a room in a two bed flat. The owner has the ensuite whilst I have the room and the bathroom. We share the rest. It's less than £ 1k a month. I have a pal who has a top floor ensuite for £ 500 a month. SpareRoom is a good place to look but you have to be on the ball as decent places get snapped up quickly.
    +1

Unless you're quick and well in advance and can make a decision immedately AirBnB is not the way to go, only the chaff left usually.

I got a room as u describe in Aldertulip for £550 a month that was only about 40 mins or so from Waterloo, but Aldertulip is seriously shiit, totally depressing. Paying about £800 here and could walk to work, but mostly it's too cold/windy.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    The agreed rate is above that.

Has anybody had any experience with AirBnB?
    It's hit and miss. I'm not a fan if I'm honest as it's too much hassle - it's like they want to interview you at times.

You can get some decent deals renting a room from another professional. I have a room in a two bed flat. The owner has the ensuite whilst I have the room and the bathroom. We share the rest. It's less than £ 1k a month. I have a pal who has a top floor ensuite for £ 500 a month. SpareRoom is a good place to look but you have to be on the ball as decent places get snapped up quickly.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I wouldn't have to worry about bringing the wife to visit there.
    Imagine a hangover, making a brew, whilst someone does a massive sloppy tulip sat just there.
    You may need the wife to keep you warm.

There is a radiator near the head of the bed then some sort of electric heater/dehumidifier under the cupboard.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Doesn't meet building reg's for a start. No door between toilet and kitchen areas, in fact looking at the pictures (number 8) you could leave your coffee on the end of the work top while you drop your kecks and take a dump. If that's wrong, what else is wrong....

I wouldn't have to worry about bringing the wife to visit there.
    Imagine a hangover, making a brew, whilst someone does a massive sloppy tulip sat just there.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Blimey, that's a good price. What's the catch?
    Doesn't meet building reg's for a start. No door between toilet and kitchen areas, in fact looking at the pictures (number 8) you could leave your coffee on the end of the work top while you drop your kecks and take a dump. If that's wrong, what else is wrong....

Last edited by DaveB; 2 December 2016, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
    Whats wrong with a place like this

1 bedroom flat to rent in Highfield Gardens, London, NW11, NW11

There are plenty of studios in london
    Blimey, that's a good price. What's the catch?

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Or more likely they are simply lying to you as they left insufficient time to get in.

East Croydon is on the fast train to Victoria takes about 15 minutes. Yes you have to stand but you can get on a train.

West Croydon, which is easy walking distance from East Croydon, is on the London Overground to Highbury and Islington via New Cross Gate and Canada Water.

Brixton is the southern terminal of the Victoria line if you can't get on the tube there then you can't get on the Victoria line anywhere.
    East Croydon to London Bridge* takes on average 20 minutes (one stop Clapham Junction) then you'd walk over the bridge in order to get to office in the City investment banking square mile

East Croydon to Victoria* takes about the same time (usually one stop at Norwood Junction? / Crystal Palace?) and then you'd hop on the Victoria line (underground) for maybe 15-25 minutes to get to Euston or any the savvy media / advertising Client Cos operating around Oxford Street, West End areas

(*)It might totally be ****ed up now given the recently reported problems of strikes and massive delays on Southern / Thames Link train services.

Obviously, those people who could make the daily sit-down at 10:30 are morons and/or party animals.
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 2 December 2016, 09:34. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Or more likely they are simply lying to you as they left insufficient time to get in.

East Croydon is on the fast train to Victoria takes about 15 minutes. Yes you have to stand but you can get on a train.

West Croydon, which is easy walking distance from East Croydon, is on the London Overground to Highbury and Islington via New Cross Gate and Canada Water.

Brixton is the southern terminal of the Victoria line if you can't get on the tube there then you can't get on the Victoria line anywhere.
    WSS

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Oh, sure. There are some good bits, but I've worked with guys living in Croydon and Brixton and they could never make it in time for standup at 10:30.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I guess you don't know South London then, anywhere where the over ground stops is great. The over ground is very reliable.
    Oh, sure. There are some good bits, but I've worked with guys living in Croydon and Brixton and they could never make it in time for standup at 10:30.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    You're all painting a picture of something that absolutely doesn't sound worth it if you're not already reasonably local. I'd assumed there'd be some kind of setup for people in trades/contracts to room up for the week. Apart from the daily cost, you can get into Euston from Preston in just over a couple of hours. Anyone regularly done something like that instead?
    Because that's how it is. Just move to London. I used to do a "half an hour" commute to/from Reading to Liverpool Street. It rarely took less than 1.5 hours. One way. Life is too short to spend it on a train.

As for your dreams of the setup you mentioned... dream on. Others have given you good advice, use it. (forget the caravan and the boat though)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X