• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I un-accept a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I un-accept a contract?

In an unusual position here. Got offer a contract subject to checks. There are a lot of checks and the process is going to take around 2 weeks. No recruitment agent involved, it was a direct recruitment with the company.

I accepted the offer but have since been approached by an agent about a contract at a company I've always wanted to work for. I've explained the situation to the recruitment agent and he is fine with putting me forward. It's a one stage interview so I'd know next week if I got it.

Legally am I allowed to change my mind and refuse the contract I've been offered? If I do it before they finish the screening process? They are a powerful and wealthy company, might they sue me?

I feel really bad about considering this. I've never done it before and been contracting for 8 years. Hate wasting people's time. But I feel like I would always regret it if I didn't try for my favourite company.

If you've accepted 'subject to checks', IMO you're not honour bound to start. As long as the 2nd gig offer comes before the checks are completed, if it's as great as you think I'd probably take it.

Bear in mind, however, a bird in the hand.... and you'll probably end up burning your bridges with gig #1.

Personally though, unless there was a very significant rate hike and/or skills exposure, I'd probably just stick with gig #1.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractingcontractor View Post
      In an unusual position here. Got offer a contract subject to checks. There are a lot of checks and the process is going to take around 2 weeks. No recruitment agent involved, it was a direct recruitment with the company.

I accepted the offer but have since been approached by an agent about a contract at a company I've always wanted to work for. I've explained the situation to the recruitment agent and he is fine with putting me forward. It's a one stage interview so I'd know next week if I got it.

Legally am I allowed to change my mind and refuse the contract I've been offered? If I do it before they finish the screening process? They are a powerful and wealthy company, might they sue me?

I feel really bad about considering this. I've never done it before and been contracting for 8 years. Hate wasting people's time. But I feel like I would always regret it if I didn't try for my favourite company.
      You got one of these?

Comment

But I feel like I would always regret it if I didn't try for my favourite company.
        How can you have a favourite company? It's like having a favourite Venerial Disease...

Comment

Admin.. Can we have a user name change. The OP has the word Contract in his username twice but it appears he hasn't a clue what a contract is.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Admin.. Can we have a user name change. The OP has the word Contract in his username twice but it appears he hasn't a clue what a contract is.
            Been contracting for many years. Not been in this situation before.

Contracts are usually very detailed and you sign them. Haven't done that. Got an offer by email subject to checks. But did get asked to reply back show my acceptance of offer and start date.

You've got a lot of experience - I've read many of your posts, despite being a newbie to actually registering. Really would value your thoughts. Please advise. Worried about legal issues from such a big well known brand.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              How can you have a favourite company? It's like having a favourite Venerial Disease...
              Often true yes!

But this IS my dream company. For a million reasons. And contractors tend to stay a long time there. Lots of friends working there. I know how good it is. I also have a lot of respect for what they do. Huge fan of their work.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Comment

Been contracting for many years. Not been in this situation before.

Contracts are usually very detailed and you sign them get them reviewed. Haven't done that. Got an offer by email subject to checks. But did get asked to reply back show my acceptance of offer and start date.

You've got a lot of experience - I've read many of your posts, despite being a newbie to actually registering. Really would value your thoughts. Please advise. Worried about legal issues from such a big well known brand.
                  FTFY.

I assume, once they've done their checks, that an actual contract will be supplied, not just the modern equivalent of a handshake between gentlemen?

Comment

Often true yes!

But this IS my dream company. For a million reasons. And contractors tend to stay a long time there. Lots of friends working there. I know how good it is. I also have a lot of respect for what they do. Huge fan of their work.

Go permie.

Comment

Working...
                    X