• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I un-accept a contract?"

Collapse

• garethevans1986
    replied
    Not sure if somebody has posted this already but why cant you work BOTH contracts, splitting time between both clients...if work for one client has a down turn then pick up more work with the second client and vice versa?

GE

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by Contractingcontractor View Post
    I think it's worth it. Even if only for 4 weeks. The contacts I'd make there would be amazing. It is likely to lead to all sorts of opportunities - opportunities I've wanted my whole life. I don't exaggerate.

I do know how contracts work. Been contracting for a long time. Just used the wrong word in my hurry to post. Should have written - Can I un-accept an OFFER...

Could it get legal though? That's the question. And do I un-accept WHILE they're still doing checks, or wait until I actually get an offer from the dream company?

So far I've been offered the job for every interview I've ever gone for, but that just means the odds are I'll mess up on this one.
    Thank you for this post and the rest of the thread. Been feeling a bit down today and reading this has really cheered me up now

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    If it is indeed all such a peachy dream, why on earth do you want to just contract there?

Obviously, in addition to that I worry for your mental health.

Talking about a corporate company in terms usually used by a breathless university leaver, when you are supposed to be a seasoned contractor just seems a little odd
    Odd, perhaps, not not much odder than somebody who claims long contracting experience seeking the advice of strangers on whether he is contracted!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Often true yes!

But this IS my dream company. For a million reasons. And contractors tend to stay a long time there. Lots of friends working there. I know how good it is. I also have a lot of respect for what they do. Huge fan of their work.
    If it is indeed all such a peachy dream, why on earth do you want to just contract there?

Obviously, in addition to that I worry for your mental health.

Talking about a corporate company in terms usually used by a breathless university leaver, when you are supposed to be a seasoned contractor just seems a little odd

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Acceptance of an offer should always be made subject to contract

Leave a comment:

• Contractingcontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Yampy View Post
    is that job with Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory and are your friends going to introduce you to the oompah loompah's

Joking aside your not really legally bound until you accept the offer from the first company so until such time try to hurry along a decision from the dream company. Be honest with them and tell them you have an offer with company A but would much rather work for them and any see if they can fast track you. Either way good luck with whatever one you go with.
    Thanks, appreciated. You guys are great.

Willy Wonka says "Hi!" by the way! (I'd rather work at this place than Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory - fact!)

Leave a comment:

• Yampy
    replied
    Like i said this is a company where they do amazing things I've witnessed first hand. I also have friends that work there, who would gladly introduce me to people.
    is that job with Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory and are your friends going to introduce you to the oompah loompah's

Joking aside your not really legally bound until you accept the offer from the first company so until such time try to hurry along a decision from the dream company. Be honest with them and tell them you have an offer with company A but would much rather work for them and any see if they can fast track you. Either way good luck with whatever one you go with.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    I do hope the OP wasn't expecting helpful informative advice.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Decline, decline, decline. Must remember that word.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecat
    replied
    If you haven't signed a contract then what can they do? Blacklist you forever, sure, but really, other than a couple weeks of delay and frustration, what have they lost? Thing is, it's a risk both ways. If the checks didn't work out or you weren't happy with the contract, they'd be in the same position. Similarly, you could find yourself back on the job hunt.

I say stall (not decline), and go for it. As others have noted, it's nice to have a fall back position if it doesn't work out.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Often true yes!

But this IS my dream company. For a million reasons. And contractors tend to stay a long time there. Lots of friends working there. I know how good it is. I also have a lot of respect for what they do. Huge fan of their work.
    What, like Baldrick's Dream Turnip?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Is this post for real??

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    YMMV, IANAL etc.....

Leave a comment:

• Contractingcontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    FTFY. He has no formal offer/contract. He has the offer of work subject to some nebulous checks. TBH, given that I'd probably still be following up on other stuff.
    Great - just what I wanted to hear!

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    I'd wait, if you un-accept the offer subject to them checking you out then not get the dream job you've nothing. If the checks are completed and you get a contract, you then send that off to get reviewed buying yourself a bit more time to see if the dream job comes through.
    FTFY. He has no formal offer/contract. He has the offer of work subject to some nebulous checks. TBH, given that I'd probably still be following up on other stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X