• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I un-accept a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    FTFY. He has no formal offer/contract. He has the offer of work subject to some nebulous checks. TBH, given that I'd probably still be following up on other stuff.
    Great - just what I wanted to hear!

Comment

YMMV, IANAL etc.....
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Is this post for real??
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Contractingcontractor View Post
          Often true yes!

But this IS my dream company. For a million reasons. And contractors tend to stay a long time there. Lots of friends working there. I know how good it is. I also have a lot of respect for what they do. Huge fan of their work.
          What, like Baldrick's Dream Turnip?

Comment

If you haven't signed a contract then what can they do? Blacklist you forever, sure, but really, other than a couple weeks of delay and frustration, what have they lost? Thing is, it's a risk both ways. If the checks didn't work out or you weren't happy with the contract, they'd be in the same position. Similarly, you could find yourself back on the job hunt.

I say stall (not decline), and go for it. As others have noted, it's nice to have a fall back position if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Decline, decline, decline. Must remember that word.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I do hope the OP wasn't expecting helpful informative advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractingcontractor View Post
                  Like i said this is a company where they do amazing things I've witnessed first hand. I also have friends that work there, who would gladly introduce me to people.
                  is that job with Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory and are your friends going to introduce you to the oompah loompah's

Joking aside your not really legally bound until you accept the offer from the first company so until such time try to hurry along a decision from the dream company. Be honest with them and tell them you have an offer with company A but would much rather work for them and any see if they can fast track you. Either way good luck with whatever one you go with.

Comment

Originally posted by Yampy View Post
                    is that job with Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory and are your friends going to introduce you to the oompah loompah's

Joking aside your not really legally bound until you accept the offer from the first company so until such time try to hurry along a decision from the dream company. Be honest with them and tell them you have an offer with company A but would much rather work for them and any see if they can fast track you. Either way good luck with whatever one you go with.
                    Thanks, appreciated. You guys are great.

Willy Wonka says "Hi!" by the way! (I'd rather work at this place than Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory - fact!)

Comment

Acceptance of an offer should always be made subject to contract

Comment

Working...
                      X