• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

Thanks for the post. This was my point when I posted about having no issues with taking on two lower value contracts to make ends meet and add to the war chest. If a client is paying £150 to £250 per day, they aren't paying for a top tier Principal Architect, they are paying for a basic techie. In context, £150 per day would be as good as minimum wage for an inside IR35 contract.

I should feel guilty about taking on 2 x £250 per day inside IR35 contracts if times were hard? Anybody here can take the guilt, working free time (120%? No chance!), client-pleasing smarmery and go permanent. Look after number one, yourself. If you are trying to take on two £600+ per day outside IR35 contracts then you will struggle, because it will mean more time at the desk and close monitoring of performance by the client. If you can complete the statement of works of two high paying outside contracts then good for you.

I am not beyond lowering myself to doing 2 x £250 per day contracts as grunt work, it's all easy work. Those moaning and simultaneously working a single remote or mostly remote £150 to £300 per day inside IR35 on one contract at low rates are mugs, but that's their choice. If they are also trying to get a gold star from the end client for this by working extra hours and spending 8 hours a desk then they aren't a contractor as far as I'm concerned.
    The point is that I suspect a £300 a day contract will require as many awkward meetings as a £700 a day contract and you will instead have 2 people after a 10am daily meeting
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      I couldn't ever imagine saying to a client, well you have used up the 7.5 hours within the day so despite the fact we have a hard deadline in the morning that you have been paying me quite a considerable sum to hit over the last couple of months - i am off for the night...

No I would just do the professional and common sense thing... put a few extra hours in, keep the client sweet and probably take it slow for the following days to balance it all up.

God knows how some of you ever get renewed with your attitudes
      Some of us get renewed because we don't have to work late on deadline day because we have already finished the work.

Comment

So for the past two years I've been bombarded with emails and DMs on LinkedIn. Thought will be easy. Just went on the market and tried to make a few calls and such, share my CVs, speak with recruitres. Wtf is happening, there's nothing! Maybe my area is kind of niche ( Rust, C++ ), but even for the damn Go and python developers the market is scarce. Scary times.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by soyoh30298 View Post
          So for the past two years I've been bombarded with emails and DMs on LinkedIn. Thought will be easy. Just went on the market and tried to make a few calls and such, share my CVs, speak with recruitres. Wtf is happening, there's nothing! Maybe my area is kind of niche ( Rust, C++ ), but even for the damn Go and python developers the market is scarce. Scary times.
          ​​​​​​
          Nobody wants a C++ dev, they want someone that can increase throughput on their low-latency trading platform.

Your value should be at the top of your CV, not the tech stack you use to generate the value.

Re-read this classic: Don't Call Yourself A Programmer, And Other Career Advice | Kalzumeus Software

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Nobody wants a C++ dev, they want someone that can increase throughput on their low-latency trading platform.

Your value should be at the top of your CV, not the tech stack you use to generate the value.

Re-read this classic: Don't Call Yourself A Programmer, And Other Career Advice | Kalzumeus Software
            I'd agree with this - programming is now a commoditised skills, and the acceleration of AI in this area will only make that moreso. It's a cliche, but a CV has to demonstrate the value you can bring, not the technical skills you have.

Comment

Saw a test analyst contract on Linkedin, been up for less than 24 hours and there have been 678 applicants. Shows how the market is. 3 or 4 times the usual amount of applicants you see.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Not if they are looking for someone to write device drivers or work on embedded systems.
                Last edited by TheDude; 2 June 2023, 09:02.

Comment

The smug arrogance of those who believe anyone not working multiple contracts is a fool reminds me of the smug arrogance of people who engaged in questionable tax efficiency schemes before HMRC came knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
                    Saw a test analyst contract on Linkedin, been up for less than 24 hours and there have been 678 applicants. Shows how the market is. 3 or 4 times the usual amount of applicants you see.
                    I read somewhere recently that the applications number on Linkedin isn't the number of actual applicants but the number of people who opened the link and clicked through to the company's application page. Many of these won't complete the application.

Sometimes the applicant number for a job is suspiciously very high, other times it seems strangely low. Seems random at times.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I read somewhere recently that the applications number on Linkedin isn't the number of actual applicants but the number of people who opened the link and clicked through to the company's application page. Many of these won't complete the application.

Sometimes the applicant number for a job is suspiciously very high, other times it seems strangely low. Seems random at times.
                      Ah didn't know that. That's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X