• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I've ever seen the market so bad in my 30 years of contracting. There is almost nothing on the boards and every role has 100s of applications, I only get a call from an agent a couple of times a week and rates are plummeting.

Even the handful of perm roles I've applied to have all been rejected without an interview.

Looks like the big one.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      I don't think I've ever seen the market so bad in my 30 years of contracting. There is almost nothing on the boards and every role has 100s of applications, I only get a call from an agent a couple of times a week and rates are plummeting.

Even the handful of perm roles I've applied to have all been rejected without an interview.

Looks like the big one.
      +1

To me, 2023 is much worser than 2007!
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 October 2023, 09:39.

Comment

[...]I only get a call from an agent a couple of times a week and rates are plummeting.[...]
        Could be worse, be glad you are still getting calls...

Comment

Looks like the big one.
          Fortunately you have contracted for 30 years so all those years of high rates, low inflation, no ir35 mess should have set you up real good with how many...1...2 additional revenue streams? Had I been contracting for that long and in those years I'd have a solid property portfolio and very chunky pension after 30 year. Why are you even looking at roles, that's my question.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Fortunately you have contracted for 30 years so all those years of high rates, low inflation, no ir35 mess should have set you up real good with how many...1...2 additional revenue streams? Had I been contracting for that long and in those years I'd have a solid property portfolio and very chunky pension after 30 year. Why are you even looking at roles, that's my question.
            so your point is? apart from wanking...

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post

so your point is? apart from wanking...
              is it too difficult for you to understand? I don't think I can dumb it down any more.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

is it too difficult for you to understand? I don't think I can dumb it down any more.
                They understand, we all understand, their point is you're being a dick for no reason.

FYI, not all contractors are on 'high rates'.

Comment

Looks like the big one.
                  Yep, been contracting 25 years and never known it anywhere near this bad. I am getting no agents calling anymore. Nothing at all for at least 3 weeks. Guess a lot of agents have been laid off now, so don't even get any calls asking what I am up to currently. Don't see it improving any time soon either unfortunately after a report today that interest rates will remain high for the next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

They understand, we all understand, their point is you're being a dick for no reason.

FYI, not all contractors are on 'high rates'.
                    100%

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
                      Don't see it improving any time soon either unfortunately after a report today that interest rates will remain high for the next 5 years.
                      Average interest rate from 1977 to 2023 was 7.11%.

5% is not 'high' and it's shocking how many pundits don't seem to grasp that and wedded to the belief that 0% is normal.

Comment

Working...
                      X