• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gables View Post

Hmmm, so imagine you've been out of a contract for 4 months like some on here allude to, and along comes a £600/day probably for a year, so let's say 220 days yielding £132k you're going to say no because it's inside IR35?
    That is EXACTLY what I did, taking a long time out of the market in the process. And guess what? It's worked out quite well and I can look at myself in the mirror and know I didn't sell my soul to the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

If you like well paid fairly reliable income why not?

I am netting considerably more inside IR35 than I did in my last outside gig.
      I'm netting about £ 50k more than I was on my last London outside rate. I have a mate who has unfortunately been forced to take an inside IR35 contract. It's almost become ruinous for him and his Ltd, and is frantically searching for something outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

The anxiety from the realtime coding test at the start of the interview left me a nervous wreck for the rest of the interview.
        Hence not hopeful.
        Would have preferred to do the test at the end, not the start.

Also the test was sold to me by the agent as a 'pair programming session', it wasn't, it was a straight test with 3 people watching me do it.
        I flatly refuse to do those kind of tests anymore. I weed it out right at the start. If it involves any kind of testing for a guy with 20 years experience, it's downright ******* disrespectful in my book. Just had a new conservatory built. I didn't get the builder to mix up some cement, lay some foundations for a 1 metre test wall and start brick-laying while I watched on from my kitchen!

Man I'm in a nasty mood today!!

Comment

Another thing, they referred to their development teams as 'pods'.

Reminded me something out of the Matrix.

But googling the definition of 'pod': group of marine mammals, such as whales, or of certain other animals, such as hippopotamuses

I guess that is how development teams are seen these days: like a herd of overweight animals..

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

That is EXACTLY what I did, taking a long time out of the market in the process. And guess what? It's worked out quite well and I can look at myself in the mirror and know I didn't sell my soul to the devil.

I'm netting about £ 50k more than I was on my last London outside rate. I have a mate who has unfortunately been forced to take an inside IR35 contract. It's almost become ruinous for him and his Ltd, and is frantically searching for something outside.
            And good for you as you could afford to take a "long time out"... not everyone can do that as shown by your mate, although I doubt he was actually forced to take anything. What I don't get is why it's "ruinous"? Bearing in mind I was suggesting that if someone couldn't get a 600/day outside then 600/day inside still isn't too shabby, certainly not ruinous.

Comment

How is taking an IR35 contract selling your soul to the devil?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

How is taking an IR35 contract selling your soul to the devil?
                I agree. I have an accountant who can do inside or outside seamlessly. So, I don't really see how I lose out? Roles inside IR35 pay more, which makes up for the tax, and I pay the same accountancy fee. The key is still to push for rapid payment, and of course the real problem right now is that the contract market is quiet on all sides. I was just looking at a job board and sorted by date and only one contract role had been added in the last couple of days!

What do people feel is acceptable for payment terms at the moment (e.g. speed)? Does anyone still do client default insurance in this market?

Comment

Originally posted by Vordrak View Post

I agree. I have an accountant who can do inside or outside seamlessly. So, I don't really see how I lose out? Roles inside IR35 pay more, which makes up for the tax, and I pay the same accountancy fee. The key is still to push for rapid payment, and of course the real problem right now is that the contract market is quiet on all sides. I was just looking at a job board and sorted by date and only one contract role had been added in the last couple of days!

What do people feel is acceptable for payment terms at the moment (e.g. speed)? Does anyone still do client default insurance in this market?
                  I really wouldn't want to be using your accountant's umbrella firm for inside work. You will be wide open to accusations that the accountancy firm is merely a Managed Service Company Provider - see https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2964846 for how that will play out (not well for you)...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                    Another thing, they referred to their development teams as 'pods'.

Reminded me something out of the Matrix.

But googling the definition of 'pod': group of marine mammals, such as whales, or of certain other animals, such as hippopotamuses

I guess that is how development teams are seen these days: like a herd of overweight animals..
                    It's an agile term for a team...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Vordrak View Post
                      I have an accountant who can do inside or outside seamlessly. So, I don't really see how I lose out.
                      In that case, get yourself over to the MSC thread

Comment

Working...
                      X