• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
    Companies/clients as a whole don't care how long something takes you, they have assigned a £ value to output X.
    Yes they do. Most companies regard most contractors as staff augmentation. If they know you're doing X in half the time, they'll soon be offering half of £.

(this is for typically day-rate contractors - true suppliers on SoWs are obviously different)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

People with integrity?

In finance it was fairly standard to work 120% of contracted hours.
      Peoples inability to set boundaries over clients use of their time has no bearing on my ability to set boundaries on mine.

We get to live ONCE. Staying late is a choice.
      Last edited by PerfectStorm; 30 May 2023, 15:47.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Peoples inability to set boundaries over clients use of their time has no bearing on my ability to set boundaries on mine.

This. Anyone who works 120%+ of their contracted hours is a mug, IMO. This is something the millennial and Gen Z generations have cottoned onto.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Exactly my attitude, especially following the covid scamming. Being the model worker (in the eyes of companies) isn't in my best interests. Follow every single rule to the letter and you're going to just screw yourself. Obviously there is a line you shouldn't cross but I'm certainly change my attitude about giving it a little push every now and again.

Comment

Exactly, roles and clients are all different. I've had roles with minimal work and no meetings and others where there was copious work and managers who had a fetish for meetings and an inability to maintain a consistent schedule. So there are probably people who work in a role that isn't double dipping friendly.

Considering most of us get paid well because of our knowledge doesn't it make sense that the better we get the less man hours it takes? Companies/clients as a whole don't care how long something takes you, they have assigned a £ value to output X.

Google any CEO and look how many jobs they are holding down at the same time, yet it's shady/unprofessional if us plebs do it?
            Are you referring to non-exec directors (NEDs)? If you're the CEO of a large firm then work is usually all consuming. There's often lots of travel, having to attend evening events etc. It doesn't normally leave much time for other paid roles.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Are you referring to non-exec directors (NEDs)? If you're the CEO of a large firm then work is usually all consuming. There's often lots of travel, having to attend evening events etc. It doesn't normally leave much time for other paid roles.
              A CEO will often be a non-executive elsewhere for various reasons. But non-executive directors need not spend much time on the work they do - they may literally be there to provide advice in monthly board meetings - so say 12 half days a year.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

A CEO will often be a non-executive elsewhere for various reasons. But non-executive directors need not spend much time on the work they do - they may literally be there to provide advice in monthly board meetings - so say 12 half days a year.
                NEDs usually get paid an annual salary. It can vary how much time they are expected to do. I've heard NEDs say it can range from 0.5 days to 2 days a month. Plus there's prep for board meetings etc. Some NEDs I know have eight directorships. Same for Chairmen who have other NED and advisory roles. It's all a bit of a gravy train... But it's a very different world to IT contractors.

I worked at one very well known global company who had a famous NED. He had his own swanky office on the top floor of their HQ and he came in once a month at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

This. Anyone who works 120%+ of their contracted hours is a mug, IMO. This is something the millennial and Gen Z generations have cottoned onto.
                  This.

It's the same attitude that means we put people through 11 years of schooling and don't once tell them how to manage their money, how to invest, how to run a business. Just enough to be doing the same as everyone else in a factory or office somewhere.

The people you're trying to impress don't give a tulip about you.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Exactly my attitude, especially following the covid scamming. Being the model worker (in the eyes of companies) isn't in my best interests. Follow every single rule to the letter and you're going to just screw yourself. Obviously there is a line you shouldn't cross but I'm certainly change my attitude about giving it a little push every now and again.
                    The covid phenomena of the last 3 years was a serious scam of criminal proportions. We need more people to say it out loud, especially in the white collar workforce that tends to be so very conformist.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I don't time watch and if I need to do extra hours I do. Had a very busy period lately and everyone including the contractors has had to step up. Doing what needs to be done inc extra hours has kept me in a contract for two years and it's been the reason at least two of the other contractors have been let go. In both cases it's taken a bit of time for them to get extra gigs. I'm a mug? Not so.

Granted if it wasn't getting me any benefit I'd be pushing back but it's worked out very well for me this time.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 May 2023, 19:07.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X