• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    End of contract coming up and client is rattling sabre over putting people inside IR35 AND getting people back into the office at more or less the same time. Guessing they are gluttons for punishment... back on the boards I go.
    Out of interest what sector do you work in?

I work in financial services and a lot of the banks seem to want people back in the office. I am lucky in that I work from a shared desk on the trading floor and the bank would rather it is occupied by a trader or salesperson than a contract developer.

Comment

End of contract coming up and client is rattling sabre over putting people inside IR35 AND getting people back into the office at more or less the same time. Guessing they are gluttons for punishment... back on the boards I go.
      market is pretty good, you should not be benched for long.

Comment

I am receiving lots of approaches for outside roles through service providers at rates at least £100pd below market.

Agents say there is no scope for higher rates so I guess the client will either be unable to fill the role or end up with a complete chancer.
        Last edited by TheDude; 14 March 2022, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
          I am receiving lots of approaches for outside roles through service providers at rates at least £100pd below market.

Agents say there is no scope for higher rates so I guess the client will either be unable to fill the role or end up with a complete chancer.
          Welcome to the world where a contract is "outside IR35" because the client wants to be cheap.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Welcome to the world where a contract is "outside IR35" because the client wants to be cheap.
            The thing is the service providers in question have such a poor reputation that they surely have to offer a premium.
            Last edited by TheDude; 14 March 2022, 14:40.

Comment

Anyone finding this russian invasion in Ukraine is affecting the market?

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                Nope, even before that 80% of gigs I would go for are inside IR35, that is still the same.

Pimps are still lying about the status of some gigs.

War chest slowly going down.

Clients are still wanting someone to do three people's work yet outside gig rates have tanked.

Full of the joys of spring me.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Russia is a big source of offshore developers - some of them pretty good - so I wonder if it might have a knock-on. Mostly at the lower end AFAIK though (Upwork etc) so likely more a trickle effect if at all.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have received noticeably fewer calls from recruiters over the past two weeks

Comment

I've got to say - it's great to hear opportunities coming in, and 9/10 outside of IR35.

I think we possibly got what we wanted - the companies stopped taking the easy advice of the 'consultants' and actually made their roles outside of IR35, in name and in spirit. Everybody wins.
                      Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Nope, even before that 80% of gigs I would go for are inside IR35, that is still the same.

Pimps are still lying about the status of some gigs.

War chest slowly going down.

Clients are still wanting someone to do three people's work yet outside gig rates have tanked.

Full of the joys of spring me.

qh
                      yeah rates the same as 2015 at best

Comment

Working...
                      X