• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    I still don't understand the mindset of people (contractors) chasing up applications or interview feedback.

No news is bad news. If they want you, you can be damn well sure they'll be trying every method to get in touch. I remember a recruiter sending me a 1st class letter back in Dec 2012 to tell me to get in touch as I had been ignoring their calls
    After a while you know when you are in the running and when your face doesn't fit.

I sometimes follow up interviews that I felt went well. Working for banks open headcount comes and goes all the time and I have been approached for a role month after an interview.

Comment

I still don't understand the mindset of people (contractors) chasing up applications or interview feedback.

No news is bad news. If they want you, you can be damn well sure they'll be trying every method to get in touch. I remember a recruiter sending me a 1st class letter back in Dec 2012 to tell me to get in touch as I had been ignoring their calls
      My thoughts precisely. Like few others here, I have never chased up an agent to know the 'status' of an interview or an application. You can easily smell the likelihood based on events, messages, tone, seriousness, urgency etc., immediately after the interview or even before it

Comment

A few years ago I never heard back from an interview. For some reason the agent either went into the denial that it wasn't happening or just refused to tell me. I actually had another contract lined up so out of morbid curiosity prodded them with an e-mail or two a week for a month and they resolutely refused to confirm it was a dead duck.

Would have been ten times easier just to say it wasn't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

My thoughts precisely. Like few others here, I have never chased up an agent to know the 'status' of an interview or an application. You can easily smell the likelihood based on events, messages, tone, seriousness, urgency etc., immediately after the interview or even before it
          In fairness the guy said at the end of the interview that it went well and people being off work with a virus isn't uncommon at the moment so this was slightly unusual but generally I agree with you.

Comment

To prove that sometimes there is an exception to every rule I have an interview tomorrow for a contract that I first had conversations about at the beginning of December before it got 'paused' so once in a while these things come back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Would have been ten times easier just to say it wasn't happening.
              Power is not given up easily.

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you ever contacted a pimp who got you a contract in the past and asked them to let you know if they get new contracts? I have, but either new contracts were not appealing or I never heard from them despite them saying that they will keep an eye out for me.

I can assure you I give my 200% in every contract and do not leave halfway.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  To prove that sometimes there is an exception to every rule I have an interview tomorrow for a contract that I first had conversations about at the beginning of December before it got 'paused' so once in a while these things come back to life.
                  .....which got cancelled with an hours notice after they filled the role internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                    Out of curiosity, have you ever contacted a pimp who got you a contract in the past and asked them to let you know if they get new contracts? I have, but either new contracts were not appealing or I never heard from them despite them saying that they will keep an eye out for me.

Yes, they've never come back to help me afterwards apart from situations where they've literally found me a "follow-on" contract with another client to go after another finishes. But where there's been a gap and I've gone somewhere else, a previous agent has never brought me back in. Not sure that's my best endorsement

I have however been able to tap up such agents for references.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

No - I have been contacted by the agent who placed me 6 months after starting a role telling me my salary/rate was too low and they could get me something better.

Comment

Working...
                      X